Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Blogging venture the new Net biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=47796247

BERNHARD WARNER

REUTERS[ THURSDAY, MAY 29, 2003 12:06:10 AM ]

LONDON: A trio of European dot-com survivors have embarked on one of the Internet's promising, but niche, new businesses as they launched on Wednesday a Web publishing business for Internet diarists.

Stefan Glanzer, Stefan Wiskemann and Christoph Linkwitz, founders of the once high-flying German Internet auction site Ricardo.de, have used some of the proceeds from its 100 million-pound ($163.5 million) sale in 2001 to launch what has been dubbed Europe's first commercial service for Web loggers, or "bloggers".

The service is called 20Six. On Wednesday it went live in four European countries - Britain, Germany, France and the Netherlands - the privately held company said.

Blogs, pithy online accounts written by professional journalists and ordinary Netizens with a bone to pick, have become increasingly popular forums for news junkies looking for an unfiltered, grassroots account of current events.

Their popularity took off during the war in Iraq. The Pew Research Center in the United States recently reported that four per cent of American Internet users visited Web blog sites for some form of coverage on the war in Iraq.

As with most novel ideas that turn into a craze online, entrepreneurs are swooping in to see if they can turn it into a viable business.

Later this year, 20six will charge users for services such as Website hosting and extra memory for the larger blog sites.

Building on European's fascination with mobile technology, the company said it was seeking to sign contracts with mobile phone operators that would enable mobile phone users to send multimedia messages, or MMS, directly to a Web site giving them the ability to "blog" while away from their computer.

The nascent attempt to make blogging a viable commercial business kicked off when Google, the Web's dominant search directory, agreed to buy in late 2002 Pyra Labs, a team of developers behind Blogger, the pioneering software tool used to design and publish simple Websites.

Free or low-cost publishing programs such as Blogger, Movable Type and Userland are largely responsible for the explosion in blogging. Until now, the commercial activity has been centred around the United States.

20six would not disclose its financial backing.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is gonna be another great dotcom failure.

Why ?

- As their stupid name "20six" is nowhere near being generic, they will have to rely on heavy marketing which costs heavy money as we all know plus it can be written in zillion versions like "26","206","twenty6" meaning people will be confused about what the right spelling is.

- As mentioned in above article, blogging sites with FREE access are available round the globe.So to try to make it a paid service is gonna be difficult, especially as the "blogging" is the whole and only service they offer - not like you get webspace, a logo, a domain or stuff like that with it if you sign up for paid service it seems.Even if so, i doubt it would be attractive enough to make bloggers paying for something they can get for free at lots of places already.

- As their company is just around the corner from where i live, i just can smell the 90's dotcom bubble idea that apparently drives them - just that they seem to not have yet realized that the days of ebay-ish startups are over, meaning the principle of basing your entire business model on one lousy idea, a service that is free for customers elsewhere i should add in this case, picking a "unique" and "brandable" name and thinking VC money and heavy marketing will do the rest (= making the company known and convince potential customers to turn from free to paid).

Believe me, i am for real when saying i can smell it as my city (Hamburg) has been home of some of the greates dotcom failures in european history (Kabel New Media for instance) and that is for a reason.

Maybe i should say hi to the guys and let em know that 20six.us is still available....as the .com is taken since 2000 by someone else and won't expire til 2006 :D

"Yeah cool, lets call our company 20six - great name !!"
- 6 months later -
"Uh what are you saying - now that we have launched you telling me we don't own the .com version ?!"

I mean they registered all avail. extensions incl .net,org,info,biz,co.uk,it,be - but hey, we don't need .com ?!

Read my lips - BUBBLE !!

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heh thanks - in fact i just posted my analysis on their homepage; i think the "Why 20six will be a failure" looks nice as newest entry. :D

And here is my very own 20six webblog page or whatever it's called in webloblog speech :

http://www.20six.co.uk/beatz

"Enjoy."

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom