Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Book titles and copyrights/Trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmidte

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone was writing a book about how (in their opinion) Microsoft bullies their competitors, does that "someone" need to get permission from Microsoft to use "Microsoft" in the title of the book?

For example:"How MicroSoft Destroys the Little Guy"

My second question is: If I wanted to sell my book at www.How-MicroSoft-Destroys-the-Little-Guy.com, could Microsoft come after me for using their name to make money.

Just wondering :huh:
ED

Phantom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
schmidte said:
If someone was writing a book about how (in their opinion) Microsoft bullies their competitors, does that "someone" need to get permission from Microsoft to use "Microsoft" in the title of the book?

For example:"How MicroSoft Destroys the Little Guy"

My second question is: If I wanted to sell my book at www.How-MicroSoft-Destroys-the-Little-Guy.com, could Microsoft come after me for using their name to make money.

Just wondering :huh:
ED

I think you'd be okay, because its clear that you are using the name in the context of a critique or expose.

If Al Franken can publish a book called "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot", you are probably safe.

There are numerous newspaper and magazine articles with Microsoft in the title of the story, and ther e are E-books with Microsoft in the title too.

You could also request permission and if they refuse, that could be additional material for a chapter. You could even include their written letter refusing your request as the back jacket of the book. Your byline could be "The book that Microsoft didnt want me to write!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom