Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Bought fake traffic domain on godaddy - what to do ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I had made a huge mistake and I had bid in auction for domain with made up alexa ranking, do you know what to do ?
I had contacted godaddy support about this that domain had made up alexa, do anybody here has some experience with this ?
Can godaddy cancel the transaction ? I had paid but it was 3 days ago and Godaddy still have my funds, they didn't pay seller yet.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Which domain was that?

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, it was 66dofan.com - I made offer for domain and the seller accepted so that's why I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Setup an affiliate site and try to make your money back before renewal. Putting AdSense ads or parking will be risky. You'll get banned.

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
But the website will never get that amount of traffic...I mean like it's all made up, when that guy will stop making traffic it will be 0.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion... basing purchase solely on Alexa ranking is poor judgement. I really do not see any recourse. You saw the name. You paid for the name. How do you prove that you were buying the name based on Alexa ranking and not just "quality" in your eyes? When buying a name... due diligence.

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just call and ask Godaddy if you can cancel. You may get lucky. I do know that you can cancel regular hand registered domains within 5 days of a fresh registration (as long as you don't make a habit out of it, I was told)
I don't know about offer/counteroffer but they do make the seller wait 5 days before getting paid for some reason, maybe the 5 day wait is for instances just like this, who knows?

It's worth a phone call at least.

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice, I had emailed them with this on Saturday. I am still waiting for response.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice, I had emailed them with this on Saturday. I am still waiting for response.

Why not call them. Talk toto them diirectly. Godaddy is good at answering phone calls.

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not call them. Talk toto them diirectly. Godaddy is good at answering phone calls.

I agree. I've gone back and forth with them through email 10 or 12 times and nothing gets done. Make one call and things get handled and at the very least you wouldn't be in limbo anymore about the situation. You'd know exactly where you stand 10 minutes from now.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
macblogger said:
Hi guys, I had made a huge mistake and I had bid in auction for domain with made up alexa ranking, do you know what to do ?

Congrats, you just invested in your own domain education...apply that knowledge going forward and your investment will pay dividends.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like Poker said ....the best thing you can do is learn... and don't do it again - never trust those traffic numbers.

sorry to hear what happen to you

you might find out the name of the person who sold you the domain and details...maybe post

hope you didn't pay too much...

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pay for it and let it drop next year. Dont do it again.

Lesson learned.

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thx guys, well I didn't want to buy that domain but about a week ago I had made an offer...and I was forced to buy it after seller accepted it, now I will never make any offers on domains with 0 backlinks and amazing traffic rank.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had contacted godaddy support about this that domain had made up alexa, do anybody here has some experience with this ?
Can godaddy cancel the transaction ? I had paid but it was 3 days ago and Godaddy still have my funds, they didn't pay seller yet.

lol

even after the advice given to you in other thread, you STILL went a blew your cash

why?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with what has been said.
It's a bad idea to buy domains just based on Alexa rank or PR or whatever.
Even if the ranking is genuine, you have no way to really appreciate the amount of traffic you can expect, not to mention the quality of the traffic. Where are the visitors coming from ? USA, Iran or Zimbabwe ? Bad traffic doesn't convert.

I hope you didn't waste too much money. As suggested above, pick up the phone but before you do that, review the terms carefully.

BacklinkMafia

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How to avoid similar mistakes in the future? Maybe there is some algorithm?

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, it wasn't a lot of money so for me not a lot of waste...i have seen also fake traffic domains to be sold on sedo fro 5000 euros...so I am really lucky to buy one just for about $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom