Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Bought hijacked domain, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber Ability

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I found out a day after the transaction went trough that I bought a hijacked domain. It's a pretty high profile domain, so I'd hate to loose it. Got no clue what to do now.... Anybody been in this situation? :-(

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How did you pay for it? Any chance of initiating a chargeback?

If it is truly hijacked, you are going to lose it, so I would focus on getting your money back.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes I had that over a year ago and I did an immediate chargeback with my bank and the money was recovered. I was able to amicably transfer the domains back to the proper owner and help him in other ways, including the recovery of domains that had not been sold to me but had been used to facilitate the hijacking.
With some "research" I was able also to identify the hijacker and pass the information to the police.

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
How did you pay for it? Any chance of initiating a chargeback?

If it is truly hijacked, you are going to lose it, so I would focus on getting your money back.
I used wire through an escrow service and I didn't discover it soon enough for the escrow service to block the tansfer. It's a good chance he haven't gotten the money to his account yet though.

I don't see why it is so certain that I should loose the domain, after all I bought it in good faith. Shouldn't it be an issue between the owner and the seller?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You will lose it either amicably by arrangement with the owner or lawfully by intervention of the Registrar/Courts.
Don't waste time - do a chargeback.

Was the seller from Sweden?

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
You will lose it either amicably by arrangement with the owner or lawfully by intervention of the Registrar/Courts.
Don't waste time - do a chargeback.

Was the seller from Sweden?

No the seller was in the US.
If I do a chargeback it will hit the escrow service, not the seller. I'm talking with the escrow and they are cooperating, but say they can't do a chargeback cause their bank don't allow it.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cyber Ability said:
I'm talking with the escrow and they are cooperating, but say they can't do a chargeback cause their bank don't allow it.

Don't personally see that as your problem but rather their problem - they should have thought about that before offering an escrow service.

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Don't personally see that as your problem but rather their problem - they should have thought about that before offering an escrow service.

Feels like they would toast me if I did that. I'll first see if I can stop the money in the US bank. I wonder if my insurance will cover this...

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Report it to law enforcement, including local police and the FBI
2. Contact the banks and explain there was a fraud
3. Give the domain back to the rightful owner, or be prepared to lose it and everything else you own in a legal dispute
4. Save all emails and documentation to assist law enforcement with prosecution
5. Get legal counsel

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY.

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
What is the name?
I'll keep that for myself for now, don't want to alert the seller if he is monitoring this board.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If he did a bank money wire (is different than direct deposit [ACH] - that can be reversed), chargeback isn't an option.

If the escrow service has received the funds and has not releasing the funds yet to the buyer, then he may be in luck ... they should make the escrow service aware the item is stolen and pester them constantly - with some luck they may acknowledge its stolen - once they do that, the buyer may, though a longshot, have some reasonable grounds for filing a lawsuit against the escrow service; especially if they are not registered as required in some jurisdictions.

Lastly, depending on the amount involved (say $xx,xxx), the buyer may want to contact an attorney pronto and work to get a court injunction to prevent release of the funds to the seller.

Good luck.

Ron

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
If he did a bank money wire (is different than direct deposit [ACH] - that can be reversed), chargeback isn't an option.

If the escrow service has received the funds and has not releasing the funds yet to the buyer, then he may be in luck ... they should make the escrow service aware the item is stolen and pester them constantly - with some luck they may acknowledge its stolen - once they do that, the buyer may, though a longshot, have some reasonable grounds for filing a lawsuit against the escrow service; especially if they are not registered as required in some jurisdictions.

Lastly, depending on the amount involved (say $xx,xxx), the buyer may want to contact an attorney pronto and work to get a court injunction to prevent release of the funds to the seller.

Good luck.

Ron
It's a wire of low 5 digits, it has been released to the seller. I have reported it to the local police in Sweden after talking to the FBI, will follow up with the fraud department tomorrow. If anybody knows of a lawyer who have handled cases like this before, please let me know.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:-( yuck - best of luck getting this resolved to your satisfaction

this is a good lesson for everybody here to be careful who you are dealing with

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd closely look over the sellers and buyers version of the escrow contract as well. It may give you some recourse or loophole.

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domnet said:
This would raise red flags for me...
Yeah, I know. But since I know the domain had barely been used, I figured it was some guy who didn't know the value of it.
Right now I feel pretty stupid for not considering all factor some more... But what the hell, it's only money ..... arrrghh :dead:

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who did you use for escrow? -a well known escrow service like escrow.com, afternic.com, greatdomains.com, sedo.com? -or some other service.

-and did you choose the service or did the seller choose the service?

If your answer is "some other service" *and* the seller chose the service, then it's possible the escrow service itself may have been in on the scam.

Something worth looking into.

Ron

Cyber Ability

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Who did you use for escrow? -a well known escrow service like escrow.com, afternic.com, greatdomains.com, sedo.com? -or some other service.

-and did you choose the service or did the seller choose the service?

If your answer is "some other service" *and* the seller chose the service, then it's possible the escrow service itself may have been in on the scam.

Something worth looking into.

Ron
He choose it, but it's one of the well known.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any updates? I hope you atleast get your money back. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom