Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Offers BrainwaveInterface.com and BrainwaveInterfaces.com - truly fascinating possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not a ton of Google results (yet!), but look through them and you'll see some truly fascinating and powerful possibilities for this technology.

For example (edited down from "Technology Research News"):

Brainwave interface goes 2D

By Kimberly Patch, Technology Research News

Researchers from the New York State Department Of Health have shown that it is possible to use brainwaves picked up by electrodes attached to the outside of the scalp to move a cursor around a computer screen. Previous efforts at monitoring brain waves through the scalp only allowed movement along one axis, like up and down.

The Noninvasive Brain-Computer Interface allows people to learn to move a cursor around a two-dimensional computer screen by controlling the electrical noise that the brain makes as it functions, said Jonathan Wolpaw, chief of the Laboratory of Nervous System Disorders at the Wadsworth Center of the New York State Department of Health. The keys to the system are recent improvements in signal processing and an algorithm that adjusts to the way an individual controls brainwave oscillations.

A person learning to use the control might start out thinking about walking or moving a hand, said Wolpaw. The right sensory motor cortex controls the left side of the body and vice versa. "If you think about moving your right hand, generally sensory motor rhythms will tend to get smaller over the left side of your brain." Relaxing increases the amplitude of the rhythm.

And, from OneMind:

One story focused on two companies -- CyberLearning Technology and NeuroSky -- who are both working on technology that enables players to control video games with their brainwaves. What a cool concept. Immersive virtual reality game-playing in the home can't be too far behind the ultimate perfection of that technology.

The other story was about what are called "serious games," a genre of video games that transcends violent shoot-em-ups and gets into strategy and simulation. Those are the kinds of games I suspect I'd enjoy if I were a game player (which I decidedly am not). In these games, players rely on their intelligence and wit to out-smart rather than out-gore an opponent.

See where I'm going? If the cerebral games could use the brainwave interface, we'd have a real thinking person's video game product. And the inclusion of the cool new leading-edge technology of brainwave control in the serious games might make those games more likely to be successful.

Aug 4, 09, Moniker

Domain Days 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom