Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Brandable names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in what I think is meant by a 'brandable' name. Having read a lot now about domain names, I have come to the conclusion that this refers specifically to names that don't have an inherent meaning, or have one that is so obscure that most people won't know what it is - like Yahoo or Google (which is, of course, a misspelling), although of course all names are ultimately brandable.

The questions I have about these 'brandable' names are: first, how do you choose parking keywords for these domains if they are as yet undeveloped? Do you pick these by your vision of the brand?

Second, we are told that traffic is what interests buyers, yet does development of a brand name according to my vision not affect its later use by someone else for his/her vision?

Just two more things about domain names that puzzle me. :)

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hello-

google et al are more in the 'pronounceable' category.

if a domain is not trademark infringing, and a strong combination of standard words for an industry, product/service etc... then it is brandable.

parking might require testing multiple feeds and also building your own adsense pages.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right. So I haven't understood the distinction between generic and brandable after all? Words that don't immediately evoke a clear idea are 'pronounceables'?

But the question still remains, how do you provide keywords for a name the meaning of which is fuzzy? And if you develop this name to give it a meaning, does this not make it less attractive to someone looking for a catchy name to brand?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The basic answer is that brandable names are difficult to monetize, unless they have been previously registered then you can check archive.org, whois history etc and analyze residual traffic to determine where visitors are coming from, and what they may be looking for.
If it's a made-up word with no history usually it will get little or no traffic anyway. I wouldn't waste too much time optimizing domains with 10 monthly UVs :)
It is worth having a few in your portfolio for development/end user sales but if your portfolio is too heavy on brandable you will have cash flow problems (little PPC revenue, too few sales etc).

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The basic answer is that brandable names are difficult to monetize, unless they have been previously registered then you can check archive.org, whois history etc and analyze residual traffic to determine where visitors are coming from, and what they may be looking for.
If it's a made-up word with no history usually it will get little or no traffic anyway. I wouldn't waste too much time optimizing domains with 10 monthly UVs :)
It is worth having a few in your portfolio for development/end user sales but if your portfolio is too heavy on brandable you will have cash flow problems (little PPC revenue, too few sales etc).

excellent points "sdsinc", I totally agree!

also, a generic domain can be "branded" as well.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A brandable domain is one that you can use to start a company or service with. It could also be generic or not, depending on budget.

Brandable names which are made up (like Google) don't have any value unless developed with a business purpose in mind.

Generics on the other hand get type in traffic and hence monetization is possible even without development and hence are more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom