Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Branded After My Domains...How To Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeatBeltPads.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have about 6 domains (.com) which I regged or were regged from 1997-2001 that have since (in the past 4 years in all cases) become the chosen brand name for several companies, from a software firm, clothing brand, medical drug etc. and it seems all have gone to the exent of TM'ing the name - again years after the domain was regged. I know this is a common case and I will get the recent example of Rick Shwartz and iReport.com - but I do have his skills quite yet, so what is the best way to deal with this, if I dont want to put up a site for each to claim my legitimiacy (1 already has had site for years)

I've only gotten an offer for 2 of the 6, both being quite low - I could imagine Rick swinging $xx,xxx deals on each as the potential suitors are large companies - but eitherway I just want to get soe deals done on these and go forth.

Any advice besides dev'ing? How to get talks going with those how havent tried to make offers - how to let them all know where to stick it if they try to use legal or scare tactics (lol, I usually dont go for it anyway).

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best option imo is to either sit and wait for an offer and don't park em, etc, or consult a lawyer to write up a correct approach so as to avoid any problems.

JBerryhill or others who are legal eagles here can help you with that if you take that route. If you try it yourself, anything you say can and will be used against you ;)

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is the 64 million dollar question for all of us. Firstly I always make sure
I use the domain for something, even parking, so that I can claim rights
in the name for something, anything. Then you could go to them and say
that you believe there use of the name is infringing on your use,assuming
you used name first. Maybe could approach and offer to buy their ,say .net,
and make sure they are aware that you have the .com. Then they might
reverse the discussion and offer to buy. You could say "we registered the
domain name for a project but due to finance not yet being available our partners are now considering selling the domain if they get the tight offer etc etc. Then they will say "how much" and you can say your partners have decided if they can sell at US$xxxxx they will do so otherwise
they will continue with project.

DG

I have about 6 domains (.com) which I regged or were regged from 1997-2001 that have since (in the past 4 years in all cases) become the chosen brand name for several companies, from a software firm, clothing brand, medical drug etc. and it seems all have gone to the exent of TM'ing the name - again years after the domain was regged. I know this is a common case and I will get the recent example of Rick Shwartz and iReport.com - but I do have his skills quite yet, so what is the best way to deal with this, if I dont want to put up a site for each to claim my legitimiacy (1 already has had site for years)

I've only gotten an offer for 2 of the 6, both being quite low - I could imagine Rick swinging $xx,xxx deals on each as the potential suitors are large companies - but eitherway I just want to get soe deals done on these and go forth.

Any advice besides dev'ing? How to get talks going with those how havent tried to make offers - how to let them all know where to stick it if they try to use legal or scare tactics (lol, I usually dont go for it anyway).

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Firstly I always make sure
I use the domain for something, even parking, so that I can claim rights
in the name for something, anything.

I disagree with this advice. Parking can wind up being the worst thing you can do. The ads may wind up keying up to the trademarks -- thus turning your potentially innocent registration into bad faith use.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also strongly disagree...parking is a huge risk. Development is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom