Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

British politician falls victim to cybersquatters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://news.com.com/British+politic...uatters/2100-1028_3-6123178.html?tag=nefd.hed

The leader of Britain's Conservative Party has fallen victim to cybersquatters and some people trying to access his Internet blog have found themselves entering the world of a little-known Australian poet.

David Cameron, modernizing leader of the opposition party, launched his blog www.webcameron.org.uk over the weekend in a bid to appeal to younger voters and revamp the image of his party.

But the party did not take the precaution, common in such circumstances, of securing the domains of similar Web site names including www.webcameron.info and www.webcameron.co.uk.

Since then, supporters of small rival political party UKIP have leapt on to the www.webcameron.info domain and made it their own, posting a satirical video of Cameron on it.

Meanwhile, Internet surfers who have mistakenly accessed www.webcameron.com instead of Cameron's www.webcameron.org.uk have found themselves on the Web site of a Melbourne-based performance poet called Cameron M. Semmens.

Semmens, who has owned the domain for some time, has been inundated by Web visitors since Cameron launched his blog.

"I never thought my name was so fortuitous as it has been in the last couple of days," he said in an e-mail sent to NetNames, a London-based company which manages Web domains.

"I feel quite opinionless about his policies--they are so far removed from my circumstance," he said in the e-mail, seen by Reuters. "I doubt there would be much of a chance me selling on my domain name--I like it."

Jonathan Robinson, chief operating officer of NetNames, said he was amazed the conservatives had not taken measures to protect Cameron's blog.

Domain Days 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom