Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Building Six-Figure Brands with Morgan Linton

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Morgan Linton is without peer in the domain industry. He is not only one of the industry’s most visible faces, but one of the few domainers to successfully make the transition from domainer to developer. In a few short years, he has transformed his blog, MorganLinton.com, into a daily-pilgrimage point for thousands of domainers, As [...]

More...

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read article. I did quick check on kayaking.org. Alexa has it as a ranking of almost 1 million. Compete shows only 300 visitors a month. And the classified ad section on the site does not have one classified ad though it has been opened for 4 months at least. And the ads on the homepage are not purchased ad spots, they are affiliate link ads. Not sure how this site is generating anything more than a few bucks a day at most.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many people use the alexa toolbar tho :p

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read article. I did quick check on kayaking.org. Alexa has it as a ranking of almost 1 million. Compete shows only 300 visitors a month. And the classified ad section on the site does not have one classified ad though it has been opened for 4 months at least. And the ads on the homepage are not purchased ad spots, they are affiliate link ads. Not sure how this site is generating anything more than a few bucks a day at most.

Alexa, Compete and Quantacast ranks and scores are almost always wrong by a HUGE margin, especially on newer sites. One of my sites that gets around 30 visits per day has an Alexa rank of 100,000. Go figure.

But debating the specific details is missing the woods for the tress: the point here is that you have to go out and develop brands, not just 'websites. I think we all can borrow a great deal from that thought.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How many people use the alexa toolbar tho :p

Understood, but between Alexa, Compete, a completely dead classified ads section, and the fact that the banner space is used for affiliate spots instead of people buying placements it is an educated assumption that not much is going on there. You can build whatever brand you want (and his site does look nice) but I don't see any indication that this brand generates more than a few items off the Mickey D's dollar menu per day.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Barry... However

1. Alexa is junk.. Only unexperienced people base stats on alexa.
2. Unless he is getting millions of pageviews no big company is going to "buy" from him directly. I don't know what the story is with the affiliate banner is.. Perhaps since his site is pretty targeted he can make more from affiliate links than other methods... He ranks high for words other than "kayak" .. I've had very popular sites with dead forums.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Barry... However

1. Alexa is junk.. Only unexperienced people base stats on alexa.
2. Unless he is getting millions of pageviews no big company is going to "buy" from him directly. I don't know what the story is with the affiliate banner is.. Perhaps since his site is pretty targeted he can make more from affiliate links than other methods... He ranks high for words other than "kayak" .. I've had very popular sites with dead forums.

Just to clarify: perhaps this came out a bit hyperbolic in the article, but Morgan's advice is on how to build a six figure business, and not a solitary six-figure brand. Morgan discusses Kayaking.org because of its potential and promise. Personally, I feel that the site is done quite tastefully and can give a lot of pointers to domainers on how to proceed with development.

I've updated the original article in case there was some confusion on this issue.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Morgan's advice is on how to build a six figure business, and not a solitary six-figure brand.

I've updated the original article in case there was some confusion on this issue.

perhaps the title should be updated as well, to reflect the revised content and clarification of what ML is actually building.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
perhaps the title should be updated as well, to reflect the revised content and clarification of what ML is actually building.

Just updated the title. I am prone to 'bloggers' hyperbole' at times :)

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I understood what you were saying. I was just looking to do a quick examination on his Kayaking site since the article stated he said it generates substantial revenue for him. After doing my quick exam I wasn't sure I understood how substantial revenue was being built on that specific site.

I understand if he has 180 fully developed sites, if each site pulls in $4 per day, that is six figures for the year for his business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom