Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Business let domain name expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jca

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So a local business let it's domain name expire. I believe the business changed hands recently, and the new owner let the domain name expire/drop several months ago.

The domain is now unregistered and waiting for someone/anyone to register it. The business name is trademarked, so I have no intention of registering the domain. The domain is a somewhat generic name that several businesses across the country use and would probably want as a domain name -- think of a "Pete's Cafe" type of name. Am I right in thinking that it would be a clear case of legal issues with the name and should stay far away?

I'm amazed that the business hasn't renewed the domain name -- they've just announced they are doing a major business expansion (home delivery), and it drives me crazy that the name is just sitting there as it would be something they would/should need and is a nice short name. I almost want to tell them to register it so I don't have to think about it anymore. :undecided:

Does anyone else ever run across situations like this?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure!
3 days ago I've found an expired name (TM of a UK company) very brandable low-mid x,xxx for sure.

I don't reg'd that.

Seems like in the current economic situation many peoples forgot to renew their business domains.

You had make the right choice stay away from TM.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There are several reasons to this: perhaps the administrator was laid off or the company is not doing so well. Do not register it, alert them to the situation but ensure first you are speaking to the right person.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of us have had similar situations.

I often make "casual" suggestions to people about registering a domain for their business.
Or, expand the fishing net to capture the missed traffic with a similar domain.
If they own the singular (and promote it), they should also register the plural, etc.

One specific situation.
I have a friend that owns a TM for his business but the domain just sits there unregistered.
(word) (word) Center
I have told him and told him.

Instead, he uses (word) (word) (state abbrev.) .com
Ironically, he probably could buy the domain best suited for his business for $ 1,000.
(word) (word) .com
But, he has a mindset that it isn't worth it.

If he isn't willing to spend $ 9. to cover his TM, he is not going to spend $ 1K.

Georged

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guys, maybe I dont get it. But lets imagine situation if you bought expired domain of TM.
You can park it and make some money.
Than if company will ask you to give him back their name - just do it!

Is it illegal?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how generic the name is....

If it is not really generic...exercise some good Karma and give them a call.

If it is really generic ....reg it.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Register it under fake name and offer it to them for 2K, easy money

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple if it's generic and it's used in a different class as the TM holder you will not have a problem but if any of the parked ads are associated anything in relation to the TM you will have a problem......example if i were an apple trader (as in the fruit) and apple forgot to renew their domain and i snatched it and had a website up selling my granny smiths i would be o.k but now if i had snatched their domain and parked it and the ads were related anything to do with their TM i.e computers etc etc then i would be liable for TM infringement.

I only know these thin gs with all the god damn wipos i have lost so now i'm very careful :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom