Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

BuyDomains Ultsearch strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

I haven't been really keeping tabs on it and didn't realize it until just about 3 months ago, But since then I would say 4 - 6 . Not real incriminating I know and probably not anything illegal. I am not crying sour grapes. Good for him on any name he gets. I just wish he would return an email once and a while. I was just pointing out that snapnames has been great for me. I put about 50 snaps on between 6 months and a year ago some that were not even on hold yet but figured out that they would not be renewed. Of all of these average names ( Good for me ) snap has gotten all but about 8. On most of these names I was the high bidder at Namewinner also Namewinner did not get any. The ones that I wasn't the high bidder namewinner got all but 1, all were to ultsearch. Good for him.

Domain summit 2024

I doubt very much that Snap and NW are in cahoots. Still, I love conspiracy theories. Several "convenient" facts:

SnapNames is in Portland Oregon. Dotster (and thus NameWinner) is just up I-5 in SW Washington, about a 45 minute drive.

Owen, the former ace NW employee, is known to have left NW and went to work at Snapnames.

In phone conversations w/ Grabby, Snap support has mentioned NW before as a viable competitor, but never any other service.

Evidence provided by Biznames suggests a Snap-NW-Ultsearch arrangement.

Grabby That is not true. If it points to anything it points to Namewinner trying just a little bit harder for a name when its for ULTsearch.
I never said there was a snap + namewinner + ultsearch. All I am saying is that there is / was a trend.
And I also said: "Not real incriminating I know."

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The WLS is lucid rational for the open and fair system. Those that don't want WLS want their little secrets and illicit secret deals with the Registrars to continue."

You don't know what you're talking about.

The system is open to anyone willing to learn and put in the time.
Fact is the little guy can learn and participate. There is a caveat, it's called learning and lifting yourself by your bootstraps. Not popular I'm sure with the lazier members.

WLS is a monopoly which will only benefit Versign/NSI to the tune of 50+ mill a year at current prices. Also add to your acquisition costs greatly.

And the big guys will still be using scripts except they'll be catching expiring WLS's instead of names.

Same biz different name! Same deals with the Registrars

Ult Search, PTI can put out 100 K for WLS registrations in a blink. Can any of you?

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by micro
Anyone have experience aquiring a domain from Ultsearch?

Micro ... last month I contacted Ultsearch about a name they had, but knew he didn't sell names... so offered his choice of 8 names of similiar value ... he chose 3 ... and I accepted. Bottom line, I got the name I wanted and he gained 3 names.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin

You don't know what you're talking about.

The system is open to anyone willing to learn and put in the time.
Fact is the little guy can learn and participate. There is a caveat, it's called learning and lifting yourself by your bootstraps. Not popular I'm sure with the lazier members.

WLS is a monopoly which will only benefit Versign/NSI to the tune of 50+ mill a year at current prices. Also add to your acquisition costs greatly.

And the big guys will still be using scripts except they'll be catching expiring WLS's instead of names.

Same biz different name! Same deals with the Registrars

Ult Search, PTI can put out 100 K for WLS registrations in a blink. Can any of you?

It was suggested that the best way forward is to make all WLS applications subject to random selection i.e. a new batch of names is announced, applications pour in within a given deadline, the pot is mixed after that deadline.

To spanner the big players further -

1. the cost of processing for each application should be high, say 50% of the full WLS cost

2. Participating registrars will be allowed to accept multiple applications for any one name, so there is no ghost of a chance of figuring out the odds.

Sure the big players can play, but let them pay big for the privilege of mass hoarding.

I'm sure Verisign knows the tricks. They are pushing for WLS because as registrars for .com, they are just plain tired of all the rest taking a mickey on their source of revenue.

For the small players like us, WLS helps take away the insider advantages that may exist in the ranks and file of what we call the domain industry. Sure, call it sour grapes. But a lot of us were not born yesterday.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the major players have and are gonna keep getting the best names anyway

this one thing is certain

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Verisign knows the tricks. They are pushing for WLS because as registrars for .com, they are just plain tired of all the rest taking a mickey on their source of revenue.

You need to back up a bit. This isn't Verisigns revenue. NSI acquired these names by hanging on to millions of expiring domain names over the years.

Names they acquired as a result of having a registration monopoly for years.

Names they were supposed to return to the public pool under their contract and didn't.

How many other registrars have been denied the privilege of sharing in the registrations and revenues that would have resulted had those names been let go in a timely manner.

How many small (web) businesses have been stillborn because of the lack of availability of a decent name.

To allow them now to benefit to the tune of 10's of millions for their blatant theft of a public resource galls me greatly.

That Verisign has simply seen the opportunity to grab millions out of the situation with NSI well...............

Lets all just get down and pray to the great god ICAAN for their wonderful job of oversight >>>>>>>> NOT :laugh:

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is simply not enough outrage about this that is formally collected. Plenty of scatter shot rage, but little posting on boards about it. Good post.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I want a name that NSI has been hoarding for 2 Years, it expired in early 2000, they were the original owners of the name.

They haven't even bothered to renew it themselves, and it is still not available, the other extensions are not taken except the .TV which is an active site.

Darn strange as it's not even a good .com

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well that prompted me to go back and look at a name I've been following since 1998. I had given up !

It actually had a may17deletion date and will drop wed or thurs.

Only 4 years. They're getting faster !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators