Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Buying a domain name with Paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy a domain name from an individual, we agreed the price and he says I just should send the money via paypal. (Arround $500)
In the case the guy don't transfer the name to me, can I ask a chargeback to paypal ?
What do I need to do to get protected here ?

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i've recovered funds successfully from paypal when i paid for domains that were hijacked/stolen (not that i knew that they were) then another time i didn't even receive a domain, i submitted a "dispute" and within a week.. or something like that i had the funds back in my account.

if your not sure... use sedo.com or escrow.com -- the fee's are reasonable!

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Within paypal, do I need to specify that I am specifically doing a domain name transaction somewhere, like putting the name in some text box?

I remember escrow has exactly this, but I've not used escrow in much time.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fischermx said:
Within paypal, do I need to specify that I am specifically doing a domain name transaction somewhere, like putting the name in some text box?

I remember escrow has exactly this, but I've not used escrow in much time.

put the domain name in the subject, and his member/user name in the notes.. and whatever other info you want as well... you should be set, good luck'

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you pay via "quasi cash" (if he invoices you for the name and sets it for that) you will have a hell of a hard time getting your money back if things go bad...If you have a bad feeling about it usually theres a reason...make sure you save any emails about the sale and pay the payment as "Auction Goods" and make sure you put the domain name and selling price in the title for the payment and specify its for "full ownership and transfer of ?????.com/etc. Don't worry paypal will watch your back if the whois doesnt change to your info...I have got money back in 2 days before...they are there waiting for someone to mess up, they love going after those guys! Paypal is imo the SECOND safest way to go next to Escrow.com which is best but costs alot more..Good luck, let us know how it goes! :)

Chris

DNbulk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
If you pay via "quasi cash" (if he invoices you for the name and sets it for that) you will have a hell of a hard time getting your money back if things go bad...If you have a bad feeling about it usually theres a reason...make sure you save any emails about the sale and pay the payment as "Auction Goods" and make sure you put the domain name and selling price in the title for the payment and specify its for "full ownership and transfer of ?????.com/etc. Don't worry paypal will watch your back if the whois doesnt change to your info...I have got money back in 2 days before...they are there waiting for someone to mess up, they love going after those guys! Paypal is imo the SECOND safest way to go next to Escrow.com which is best but costs alot more..Good luck, let us know how it goes! :)

Chris

Whoever claims to have been refunded for a 'bad' domain purchase, seems to be a very lucky person.

Well I called paypal on this and talked to 'resolutions' .

Paypal rep's statement was that a domain name is not a tangible item and therefore not covered by any buyer complaint policy and every buyer complaint would not be proccessed just because of that.
Besides, if the seller already has withdrawn the funds from his paypal account, paypal will NEVER pay the buyer anything back - be sure about this, as they can not pay out of their own pocket thousands of daily complaints.

However, if you fund your paypal account by credit card, you always can initiate a credit card charge back just in case and this would work to get the funds back. But I would NOT count on paypal to resolve this. On the other side, paypal would not like a cc charge back especially if the funds are already withdrawn from the seller. They may suspend your account in case you do a charge back and they can not secure the funds from the seller - so be prepared.

Rather use escrow because thats what they are created for.
paypal is not an escrow service and does not promote with this services either.

good luck

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always fund it with a credit card, what other way to go?!?!? :)

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb: NEVER accept PayPal for a domain sale of over $500 -- period -- unless you are totally familiar with the buyer.

Use Escrow.com and have the buyer pay the fees.

Ughh.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is why it is important to build your reputation. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom