Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Buying Domains As An Investment And Advertising Them Publicly For Sale....

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Could registering domain(s)...generic, with no known TM issues and listing them on your own personal or business website for sale be a problem for you/me if some big company with no real legal claim to the domain...just decides to file a WIPO case against you to try and get a domain?

Basicly just trying to "reverse-highjack" the domain(s).

Could the facts stated above work against you in something like this? Even though your 99.999% in the right and you did not register the domain in bad faith

Or

Is investing in generic domains for appreciation and resale a legit business? In the view of the WIPO

I know its legit...but do they view it this way

Thanks for your replys in advance,
Dan

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the clause.com WIPO the panelists acknowledge that buying and selling domain names is a legitimate business. I do not know if all panelists feel this way.

As for your questions - Yes, stating it is for sale can hurt your case, even if it is a generic domain.

The crucial item will be how you used this generic domain name.

I am not a lawyer though :)

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Steen,

Thanks for the reply.

All domains are directed to the same site: iptvdomains .com

I plan on developing all the domains with 75% of them having their own web site. But, as you might think this is going to take some time. I was just wondering until thats complete should I just park the domains on a blank page?

I think the way its set up now is legit..which it is. But, it only matters what the WIPO thinks. I have had no problems and would not really expect any problems...but you never know.

Best,
Dan

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Without realizing it, many generics names do have TM. We all know the common list, Windows, cheer, champion, apple, etc... So in the eyes of TM law, they are not generic is a specific field. Just because it is not filed with USPTO (or another country's TM dept.), does not mean a generic name is a free-for-all.

If you do have a truely generic name, DO NOT WAIT AROUND... develop it now. Would of, could of , should of many times fall of deaf ears. Action is what matters. If you feel that strongly aobut it, develop it and protect yourself, establish rights to the name. The more you show you earn rights to a name, the better off you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom