Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Buying international domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

1EightT

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we own a site that we plan to take international in the next four to six weeks. We need to register some international domains, so I need some advice. We need the following on day 1:

.in
.co.nz
.com.au
.fr
.ca

(we already have several others).

Can anyone suggest places to register each of these at a decent price? Beyond that are there any issues registering any of these to a U.S corporation? Anything I should be aware of that isn't apparent on a regular .com?

Thanks everyone for the help in advance.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
indomains.net

Good luck!

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For .fr you also need French residence.

1EightT

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well that throws a wrench in things. Anything that can be done to get around these residency restrictions? We really need to get into the foreign markets with our domain.

1EightT

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do they just have to use their contact info? kind of worried about having someone in another country as the actual owner of the domain especially if the site gets large. I may try that though. maybe I have some long lost cousins in a few of these countries. What about trademarks? I noticed in the .ca that having a trademark is a valid reason for a foreign buyer to purchase a domain. Does a trademark in the united states count or must the trademark be registered in each country you are going after?

Thanks again everyone.

dutchezz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
com.au names you wont get unless you have registered the business within Australia.. and you need someone in Australia to do that for you.

GoodLuck ;)

dotworx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for .com.au you need to have australia business number which will require australian residence. the cheapest place I found for .com.au registration is intaserve.com.

during the registration process you need to provide the business number, and there are manual verification afterwards.

also australian domain registrars generally have very badly designed and inefficient management interface and billing system, nothing compares to the international ones.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's been said above is not entirely correct. All of these jurisdictions allow you to reg their ccTLDs if you plan to conduct business there. What you need to do first is secure your trademarks/copyrights. After that, international conventions allow you to reg the same domain in all signatory countries to the international treaties.

Kind regards,

SoCalBoy

1EightT

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For this do I need to hold a trademark in each country, or is a U.S based trademark enough to have in order to qualify to register my domains in these other countries? Again, I appreciate all of the helpful answers here. I've been doing this stuff for 10 plus years, but the international market is a new game for me.

What's been said above is not entirely correct. All of these jurisdictions allow you to reg their ccTLDs if you plan to conduct business there. What you need to do first is secure your trademarks/copyrights. After that, international conventions allow you to reg the same domain in all signatory countries to the international treaties.

Kind regards,

SoCalBoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom