Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Buying .us domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilodod

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question.

I'm not from the US but want to buy some .us domains, is that posible. I have read that you need to be an us citizen to buy one of those domains.

What will happen if I buy one?

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not enforced at all. Also if worried just set up a simple US biz address.

kilodod

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But what if I get "caught", I asked this same question in another forum and they said that terrible things will happen to me :-O

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe you can also meet the local presence criteria by being a US citizen... to my knowledge they are not asking for evidence.
If you are serious about investing in .us I would suggest that you establish a US company. Cheap and easy, and can be done remotely. Thus you can register .us names legally :wink:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kilodod said:
Hello, I have a question.

I'm not from the US but want to buy some .us domains, is that posible. I have read that you need to be an us citizen to buy one of those domains.

What will happen if I buy one?

Bush will put you in the terrorist prison camps in Cuba. :)

lol just kidding

Most likely nothing will happen, if you regg a .us domain.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course you are kidding but I have heard of a bill which would make it a crime (felony perhaps) to provide false whois information. I am not sure about that but incorrect whois info can land you into trouble or provide grounds for the registrar to withhold/cancel your names.
If the names are really valuable to you I would advise not to take any chances and do it legally. Setting up a dormant company for that purpose should not really cost much and makes sense for a serious investor.

Some ccTLD are more regulated than others. I remember just a few weeks ago the .fr registry for France (Afnic) cancelled hundreds of names registered by proxy (for .FR you basically need a local company).
The case also involved alleged typos/TM violations.
Thousands of people have seen their names vanish overnight. And of course I doubt the reg fees were refunded :cheeky:

kilodod

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see. That's what I though could happen. I will try buying a few. Thanks for the info.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just one update: I have checked Neustar's registrar agreement and it is stated that they may perform "spot checks" from time to time.
So to reiterate myself behave accordingly.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sdsinc said:
I believe you can also meet the local presence criteria by being a US citizen... to my knowledge they are not asking for evidence.
If you are serious about investing in .us I would suggest that you establish a US company. Cheap and easy, and can be done remotely. Thus you can register .us names legally :wink:

I know it's a bit off topic, but can you please elaborate on this "remote establishment of a US company" ?

Thanks
Idan

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I think I can elaborate a little bit, hopefully this may be helpful to the thread starter...

To meet the local presence requirements for .us (or other ccTLDs as well) one way would be to set up a local company, actually this might be a dormant company established for the sole purpose of holding domains, with no turnover and therefore no or minimal taxation.
There are plenty of company formation services available, and the paperwork can be done by E-mail. You don't even have to set foot on US soil.
A Google search with keywords like "usa incorporation" should provide some hints for service providers (often these companies also register offshore companies). Thus many US corporations are actually owned and controled by foreign entities or persons.
Some states like Nevada, Delaware seem to be favored.

kilodod

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I thought that it was not possible to incorporate a company in the US without going physically there after 9/11, is it still possible, can it be done remotely?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kilodod I am sending you a PM to answer your question

manueld64

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow, interesting thread, i thought you had to be somehow based in the us

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just rent a private mailbox box that reads:

Such Such Street
suite #xx
Whatevertown , State
zip xxxxx USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom