Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale .ca domain mentioned on DN Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice the story on Domain Name Wire yesterday about creditcards.ca?

Looks like it was acquired by Bank Rate last Dec.

This is exciting news!! Must have been big, if Zak was involved. I can't wait to find out how much the sale was. Can only be a good thing for the dot ca !!!!

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed. If Zak was brought in to provide an escrow service you know at least one party was very serious. There is no way a name like this should sell for anything less than six figures. I doubt the sales price will get publically reported given the nature of the transaction.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lots of .ca big sales are happening but not getting reported, I can tell you I have bought some high prices .ca's for future development.

One I paid 80k for, the future is bright for .ca.

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Girls girls girls!

lol, I wish I knew how I should devlop that one, but I do love girls.

I hate poetry but I like peoms.ca as well.

Two I need to figure out how to develop to maximize the traffic.

-=DCG=-

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just off the top of my head, with girls I'd do a girl games / fashion type site. I think young girls and women are a big market for makeup and accessories. I guess the obvious would be to do a adult or dating type site.

poems is a little tougher, but maybe start a collection of poems categorized for different occasions. similar to sites that offer wedding speeches, best man speeches, etc. people could search for the right poem, or submit one of their own.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol, I wish I knew how I should devlop that one, but I do love girls.

I hate poetry but I like peoms.ca as well.

Two I need to figure out how to develop to maximize the traffic.

-=DCG=-

I can see the problems. I have it with teen domains, husbands.ca wives.ca. Hard to know how to work them forward. I hate to resort to adult.

But when you figure out poems.ca let;s add plays.ca in it should work for that too. ;)

PS who do ya gotta bump off for one of them cool police car signatures!

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that yes, I did sell creditcards.ca and of course there was a non-disclosure clause. One or two people may know the approx price, but only because I had confided in them during my negotiations, prior to any discussion of a non-disclosure. In the end, the combination of timing and price was too good to pass up. It was still painful, kinda like I imagine when your kids grow up and leave home. Luckily I've still got other premium "kids" left at home to keep me busy.

Note however, that the purchaser was NOT bankrate.com, although they did call me about it last year too. The purchaser was someone who had been calling me for over 2 years about purchasing it. The fact that Bankrate.com didn't purchase creditcards.com until last year indicates that the buyer probably had a relationship with creditcards.com rather than the now parent company of bankrate.com. In any case, I certainly was aware that he could be bird dogging for someone like bankrate/creditcards.com, although I couldn't prove it. But the fact of the matter was that I was willing to sell it for a set price at that time, and it didn't really matter who it was. It would be interesting to know how the flip to bankrate happened, and how much the middle man made from it. FYI, the primary reason Zak was used was that he could safely hold the domain until the purchaser later establishes their canadian presence requirements.

Rob

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Rob! Since you got a price that you are happy with you shouldn't care who bought it and if they flipped it or whatever. It's nice to see people here selling big.

Agree, nice deal Rob! Congrats!

-=DCG=-

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great deal Rob. Although I hate these nd deals as they kill any potential "good news" for the extension.

Well you _could_ infer it was "very good news" for the extension. But don't read _too_ much into it. Although I'm heavily invested in .CA, I'm not going to be on the .ca hype bandwagon either. Every domain, buyer and seller brings its own unique circumstances that affect the final price. So big sales like creditcards.ca, jobs.ca, poker.ca, etc..., I don't believe they necessarily increase the value of all .ca's. It simply means there were unique circumstances that justified those big sales.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well you _could_ infer it was "very good news" for the extension. But don't read _too_ much into it. Although I'm heavily invested in .CA, I'm not going to be on the .ca hype bandwagon either. Every domain, buyer and seller brings its own unique circumstances that affect the final price. So big sales like creditcards.ca, jobs.ca, poker.ca, etc..., I don't believe they necessarily increase the value of all .ca's. It simply means there were unique circumstances that justified those big sales.

Congrats! Very nice to see a higher end property like this go to someone with future plans. I do think that more published sales will only help future buyers see an active and healthy market. Names like creditcards.ca really sell themselves in my view.

As Adam said, the future for .CA is bright!

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is my firm belief, with experience buying and selling domains for over ten years now, that
buyers need a "benchmark" to feel good about spending the big money. Call it a Comparable. The value of a domain has always been arbitrary. I never bought into the x factor...and now that ppc has almost died, and domains often do not have stats, the price of a domain name is often "compared" to a previous sale. When I quote a price for my LLL.ca I redirect the buyers to past sales, so that they can see that others have paid in the same ballpark. It helps to justify the price I am asking, So, I feel that past sales are very, very important to all extentions..and since we are working so hard in Canada to get top dollar for our premium domains, it is even more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom