Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale .ca domain mentioned on DN Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well you _could_ infer it was "very good news" for the extension. But don't read _too_ much into it. Although I'm heavily invested in .CA, I'm not going to be on the .ca hype bandwagon either. Every domain, buyer and seller brings its own unique circumstances that affect the final price. So big sales like creditcards.ca, jobs.ca, poker.ca, etc..., I don't believe they necessarily increase the value of all .ca's. It simply means there were unique circumstances that justified those big sales.

I neither agree or disagree how's that for a firm opinion;)

Seriously though when you can scan through an entire year of dnjournal stats and see almost nothing for .ca whereas you see tons of sales for .de or .co.uk the perception is the extension lacks value or the country doesn't embrace the internet. People willing pay for those extensions because they see value and an active market, they can resell into if whatever they're doing doesn't work out.

What do they have here???? Reg fee sales, buy my domain for $25. etc etc

Domains that should sell for strong 4 & 5 figure sales go unsold.

Value is always elusive on something like this and the lack of PR doesn't help us.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The market is the market. I'm sure a lot of .de and .co.uk sales go unreported too. A few more reported big .ca sales won't change anything.

There are many reasons but the big two holding back a more robust .ca market is our relative small population and a restricted cctld (unlike .de, co.uk, .es and others). Why the .us extension doesn't do better is another mystery, but it's also restricted. We may have 35 million people, but close to 10 million speak french and don't care about english domains, so that is an even smaller market for english .ca's

Most domainers no matter what extension have to buy, sell, and cull the portfolio from time to time. Back in 2000 I would have thought the .ca market would be a lot more active in 2011 than it's turned out to be. It keeps progressing but slowly. But short of a dramatic event like CIRA opening up the extension, the market will just unfold the way it wants to. More people will pay up for .ca's only when they see the value it will get them.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The market is the market. I'm sure a lot of .de and .co.uk sales go unreported too. A few more reported big .ca sales won't change anything.

There are many reasons but the big two holding back a more robust .ca market is our relative small population and a restricted cctld (unlike .de, co.uk, .es and others). Why the .us extension doesn't do better is another mystery, but it's also restricted. We may have 35 million people, but close to 10 million speak french and don't care about english domains, so that is an even smaller market for english .ca's

Most domainers no matter what extension have to buy, sell, and cull the portfolio from time to time. Back in 2000 I would have thought the .ca market would be a lot more active in 2011 than it's turned out to be. It keeps progressing but slowly. But short of a dramatic event like CIRA opening up the extension, the market will just unfold the way it wants to. More people will pay up for .ca's only when they see the value it will get them.

All good points!

It's amazing how often Canada shoots itself in the foot with it's restrictive, non-competitive policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom