Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wanted: Service .ca registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just found what might be a very good possibly premium .ca available to reg , but I am from USA and can't reg it , what to do?

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNjet said:
I just found what might be a very good possibly premium .ca available to reg , but I am from USA and can't reg it , what to do?

Why not? ...

I have some domain names (not .ca) through a canadian registrar, and I can select .ca names and put them in my cart... Although I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to register one. Canada sure has some bizarre restrictions for registering.

:mullet:

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strictly speaking you're correct, but the fact is most registrars will turn a "blind eye". I live in France, and own 3 .ca domains. In fact, the one I registered through Dotster, they even manually changed my "City" and "Country" to "Toronto" and "Canada" in the WHOIS info without being asked, so I guess they are used to it.

907Group

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess if you are not canadian citizen you can't registered it but domain can be transferred to you. I had several .ca domains but had to fill out lot of forms to transfer to me.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The correct way to own a .Ca, if your not a canadian citizen is to open a Canadian corporation and/or be partnered with a Canadian under his corporation, as a member of that corporation. Since this costs a bit of cash, you want to have a good number of names to off set the costs.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, something to keep in mind. If you don't meet CIRA's Canadian presence requirements, you could lose out should anyone down the road challenge you on a domain. So if you're building up a large portfolio of premium .ca's, you may want to register a corp, as Tedgeman suggests.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the registrar automatically changing the city etc for you. That could lose them their registrar contract.

If you use a fake address and phone number just make sure you don't use a out of the country area code or address. Cira frequently scans for that.

But overall if you want to do it legally partner with a company or individual here or incorporate. We have several domains (partners) we've worked with. But it pretty much has to be a premium domain or portfolio to make it worthwhile.

PS if it's that good a name give it to me and I'll pay a $50 finders fee IF we register it. If we don't I'll keep it confidential. Better than walking away empty handed.:whoo:

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol...I find unfair these restrictions.....Internet was created to be free....then all these no sense rules.....borders on the net too...

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So why are Canadians allowed to register .us names? If they are not willing to share why should Americans?... It's not a very neighborly thing to do IMO. I say put a restriction on .us names for Canada until they let people in the USA buy one of their precious domain names!

:fencing:

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Erm... I think the same restrictions apply in the US too. It's just that, like with the .ca domains, everyone turns a blind eye. Unless it's a real "premium", and likely to raise attention.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I think I have it solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom