Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Can a reseller take back your domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyC

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hope someone who is a Enom reseller could shed some light on this.

A while back I bought a domain from a guy who is a reseller with Enom. When I bought the name it was owned by the reseller. We made a contract for the sale which we both signed and then I paid the money and he pushed the domain into an account he created for me on Enom (now on http://www.enomcentral.com)

After the domain was in the account I loged in and changed the username and password.

The who is data for the domain reads as follow

Registration Service Provided By: Resellers Name

Domain name: mydomain.com

Registrant Contact:

My info

Administrative Contact:

My info

Technical Contact:

My info

So what I want to know is if there is any way for the reseller to take back the domain after he has pushed it into the new account where I have changed the user name and password.

Also is there anything more I can do to make my domain as secure as possible?

Thanks for any help on this.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So what I want to know is if there is any way for the reseller to take back the domain after he has pushed it into the new account where I have changed the user name and password.

Yes, a reseller can do whatever they want to subseller accounts, including pushing the domains back to their own account or deleting the subseller accounts altogether.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope someone who is a Enom reseller could shed some light on this.

A while back I bought a domain from a guy who is a reseller with Enom. When I bought the name it was owned by the reseller. We made a contract for the sale which we both signed and then I paid the money and he pushed the domain into an account he created for me on Enom (now on http://www.enomcentral.com)

After the domain was in the account I loged in and changed the username and password.

The who is data for the domain reads as follow

Registration Service Provided By: Resellers Name

Domain name: mydomain.com

Registrant Contact:

My info

Administrative Contact:

My info

Technical Contact:

My info

Also is there anything more I can do to make my domain as secure as possible?

Thanks for any help on this.

transfer the domain ASAP.. if you feel this person can't be trusted... :eek:k:

DustyC

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, a reseller can do whatever they want to subseller accounts, including pushing the domains back to their own account or deleting the subseller accounts altogether.

Is the domain business really this unsafe, this is a bit scary I must say. :undecided:

If I can trust my reseller or not I can not say. The problem is that most scammers are really polite and helpfull untill the day they decide to scam you.

What stops people from opening up a reseller account and then start blackmailing people who domains they control, or running away with valuable domains?

I have been thinking of transfering the domain to my GoDaddy account, but I have read some horror stories where domains have been lost in the process. This domain is very valueable to my business and I dear not even think of the possibility of it being hijacked.

Now if I decide to transfer it would my reseller have to allow the transfer? Also what can I do if my reseller do not respond to my request or for some reason refuses to transfer the domain.

And lastly, how do I know if I truly am the legal owner of my domain?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the parent account holder of a sub-account at Enom, cannot change any info in the sub-account. unless he also has the password of that account.

nor can he delete the account if there are funds or domains in that account.

if you bought a domain from another reseller, the only way he could get the name back without buying it back is...

you don't change the email address and you don't lock the domain.

with the initiation of "authorization codes" it makes it even harder for someone to transfer a domain out of enom or other registrars that use this security measure.

added:

always make sure if someone sets-up an Enom account for you, that you change the password and secret questions and answers, before registering/buying/transferring any names to that account.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

This is only true if the reseller created a Retail account, The reseller can access the retail account and initiate a push... This does not work however with Reseller accounts.. I just tried it on both to make sure.

Now if I decide to transfer it would my reseller have to allow the transfer? Also what can I do if my reseller do not respond to my request or for some reason refuses to transfer the domain.

If the contact information is in your name and email address, the transfer authorization will be sent to only you.

And lastly, how do I know if I truly am the legal owner of my domain?

Click on the Domain and select "contact information" from the drop down menu.

As for trusting your reseller? My advice is DON'T. If you have a falling out with your reseller like I did, he can screw with your account more ways than one... I found that out the hard way, since my reseller is a member here, I'm now having to transfer out nearly 500 domains.

Play it safe and get your own account! Fabulous, Moniker and Directnic are all good.

BinderGang

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow, I'm confused.

So, if I get a reseller account from a reseller (so I'd be the subreseller), the reseller has control of my reseller account and can take my names and all my customers names?

I'm not a reseller yet, but am planning on going with a company and this is a great thread that's bringing up an issue I have never seen discussed.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, I'm confused.

So, if I get a reseller account from a reseller (so I'd be the subreseller), the reseller has control of my reseller account and can take my names and all my customers names?

no, the parent account cannot take names from subaccounts.

how ridculous would it be, if there was no security for all the subaccount holders at Enom, if this was an allowable practice?
do you think they would be one of the top registrars in the industry?

Raider's case is not related the OP's original question.
As pricing of a "subaccount" is governed by the parent account.

Additionally, a "subaccount" holder can always create a "subaccount" under him, and push all his domains there.
The parent account holder cannot view, or change anything in "that" account.

You can also buy a Reseller account directly from Enom, and the amount you pay is credited to that account.
This account is also called an ETP account, short for Enom Technology Partner.
No one but Enom can make changes on these accounts.

If you do this, then you can push all your names to that account at no additional cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom