Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Can a seller change mind and delete a thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesticker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yesterday the following was offered for sale on the traffic forum:
revenue domains-geocites.jp
there were 3 traffic domains to pick from.

I picked 1 that i liked and posted sold at the BIN.

I sent a PM asking for paypal and transfer info.

When i wake up this morning the thread is gone...the guy changed his mind and the Mod. deleted the thread.

Can you do this?
I thought a sale was a sale?
Why would a Mod. delete a thread that already had a sale?

Daryl

Domain Days 2024

CashCowDomains

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think they can do that BEFORE a sale occurs, but afterwards? I doubt that.

muld

bluesticker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i had posted sold and was waiting for the paypal info.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bluesticker said:
i had posted sold and was waiting for the paypal info.

Hi

Have you contacted the seller and tried to handle this via pm or other means?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bluesticker said:
PM sent to Mod
Thanks Biggedon

Hi

From your reply via pm, I think the sellers' reason for starting and then suddenly closing his thread, was acceptable...imo.

Thanks

bluesticker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So to clarify for others viewing

seller needed money so was selling some domains
a sale was offered with a BIN
i took the BIN
i PM'ed asking for paypal info
seller got money from a different source
seller changed their mind
Mod deleted the thread

So from what i understand a sale is not final until the money changes hands

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bluesticker said:
So to clarify for others viewing

seller needed money so was selling some domains
a sale was offered with a BIN
i took the BIN
i PM'ed asking for paypal info
seller got money from a different source
seller changed their mind
Mod deleted the thread

So from what i understand a sale is not final until the money changes hands

Hi

Since you want to handle this publicly

At the point after you " PM'ed asking for paypal info", he gave you a satisfactory reason for closing his thread.

and no, a sale is not final, until payment is made and goods are delivered.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It should be up to timestamp. It's always been that way. If the person PM'ed sold before you posted sold then that person would get the name. If not then you should.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
Hi

Since you want to handle this publicly

At the point after you " PM'ed asking for paypal info", he gave you a satisfactory reason for closing his thread.

and no, a sale is not final, until payment is made and goods are delivered.

Since the person involved has started this thread, it should be obvious to you that the reason was not "satisfactory".

A contract was made and accepted by both parties. So why was the thread deleted?

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the truest sense, you are correct. But this is about ethics and principle. If the thread poster posted BIN before the PM.. then the seller is obligated to sell at BIN not at the higher bid.

GiantDomains said:
If you read the classified ads, and there is a corvette for sale, and you call, and the buyer says he doesn't want to sell it anymore, you can't force him, even if the ad is still running. Just move on, it's not for sale anymore.

As for the ad being deleted, you have to ask Biggie himself.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
If you read the classified ads, and there is a corvette for sale, and you call, and the buyer says he doesn't want to sell it anymore, you can't force him, even if the ad is still running. Just move on, it's not for sale anymore.

As for the ad being deleted, you have to ask Biggie himself. But the reason is, it's not a live sale anymore, and seller wanted it removed.

On a large scale purchase, like selling a business or real estate, the seller would get his ass sued. It's unethical and actionable.

In this case, it's important so we all know who the "deadbeat sellers" are. I won't do business with the deadbeat seller. If you think this is acceptable, have a look at the heat (and loss of business) SEDO is taking for being soft on deadbeat sellers.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Retracting an offer after BIN has been met is unethical unless there are mitigating circumstances, such as payment problems.

Legally, there's realistically little a buyer nor seller can do in such situations until after money has actually changed hands.

Trader feedback is all well and dandy, but if withdrawn sales after BIN become a common occurrence, DNForum's reputation will suffer too.

Reputation is crucial in this business all around, including buyers, sellers, and venues.

Ron

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You give terrible examples. In real estate when a house is for sale you don't just leave a post on a forum offering an amount and asking where to send the money to. You tell the owner you are going to make an offer and you receive a contact from your agent or the owner. You sign that contact and that contract is binding within the limits of itself.

There was no contact signed here. Only an offer of sale which was recinded. Just the same as if you walked into a house and left the owner a note saying you'll offer him his asking price and he turns around and says he's not interested.

In selling a business the sale is usually handled by a lawyer. An offer is made via your lawyer to the sellers lawyer. This offer is a contract to purchase depending on set conditions. Yet again this example you give has nothing to do with what's going on here.

Is the seller unethical? I don't think so. Is he a deadbeat? The definition of a deadbeat is
n
1) One who does not pay one's debts.
2) A lazy person
adj
3) Not fulfilling one's obligations or paying one's debts: a deadbeat dad.

SEDO has nothing to do with this (and i'm no sedo fan). You only bring them in to try and justify your point and it's the same point as I have made. You can offer all the money you want, the seller has the right to refuse the sale.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is there seems to be alot of this going on lately. I've noticed it from the sidelines myself. Long term members changing the "common courtesy" rules midstream and the moderators backing them up. It's second instance I've seen in just a few days.

As far as the seller offering a BIN and someone accepting that BIN price if the post wasn't deleted it could be used as a contractual agreement in just about any court. I'm guessing thats why it was deleted. I don't know who the seller was but I would like to know myself.

bluesticker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi
I started this and i purposefully left out the seller’s name.
My question was more one of "is this allowed"

Giant Domains mentions the rules...

2- If the user does not respond the way you want, go ahead and post the facts in the people to avoid section. Make sure if you post about another dnf member that you can back it up.

A good rule until I have to back it up. The thread was deleted.

I know I’m a nubie and all but to me I would have thought the thread would have been closed. The seller would have to say that he's changed his mind and does not want to sell anymore. Anyone could look at the thread...see the history...and judge for themselves.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just leave the thread up and mark closed. Some threads come to life after a few days or weeks and I'm sure that not every thread-starter remembers to close every one of them; however, if the thread seems to be a Live-Thread and the buyer has a reasonable expectation that it isn't a forgotten thread, then there ought to be at least an explanation posted.

The point is not whether it is legal. BIN prices are essentially useless if the seller has the right to say "No" for any reason. It looks like the rule going forward is that when it comes to an Offers Thread there are basically no rules. Not many people use the Auction Thread, so that means that most threads are "Anything Goes".

That being said, I have found this board to be pretty much self-regulating. Those who get out-of-line too often eventually self-destruct. Most people have good intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom