Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

can anybody give me an example of a good type-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trlg

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi folks, i'm just looking for some help or guidance (or even hints) here. I've been playing around with domains for some time now, but i just cant figure out why some folks can as they say earn so much just from type-ins. Really, it wows me that some of u guys can actually do it.

I've bought about 20 or so domains now, and I only can count 1 as an "earning" domain. And by that, I mean i can be guaranteed to get clicks every month, although i must say, it's been nearly a year now with that domain, and i've yet to get back 80% of what i paid for it! And in fact, in the last few months, the revenue has dropped drastically, to basically a predictable 2cents (euro) per click... Is there something i'm missing here?

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buyshoes.com is a good type-in example. it is redirected to a shoe store.

perhaps experimenting with cpa deals and installing wordpress on your names will help to get them more hits.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hi folks, i'm just looking for some help or guidance (or even hints) here. I've been playing around with domains for some time now, but i just cant figure out why some folks can as they say earn so much just from type-ins. Really, it wows me that some of u guys can actually do it.

I've bought about 20 or so domains now, and I only can count 1 as an "earning" domain. And by that, I mean i can be guaranteed to get clicks every month, although i must say, it's been nearly a year now with that domain, and i've yet to get back 80% of what i paid for it! And in fact, in the last few months, the revenue has dropped drastically, to basically a predictable 2cents (euro) per click... Is there something i'm missing here?

read thru some of the posts in "Domains with Traffic" for sale section.

sometimes you can find examples of type-in traffic and see the stats as well.

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's funny, because I didn't believe that anyone ever typed anything straight into the browser. I'm a web junkie and I always type what I want in a google search box. Then I was looking over my husband's shoulder and he was looking for something and I'll be darned, he typed the words right into the URL space and blam! I couldn't believe it. My son, I found also types in the names of his favorite bands that way. Jimihendrix, Gratefuldead, Janisjoplin -

So yes, there are plenty of people typing words right into the address bar and once they land somewhere they are clicking through. It's all in finding the right combos.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I consider typeins into the search box as being just as valid as typeins into the browser window. A lot of people do it either way. The important thing is for the typein to really count as a typein the extension is also needed to be typed-in. That is why .com is so valuable (with .org 2nd in value as far as typeins go, IMO).

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I know that type in traffic sites are becoming more popular

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know that type in traffic sites are becoming more popular

They have been popular for a long time so I don't believe they are any more popular now. It appears there are far less sales of good generic typein names now because they are not offered for sale as much as they were several years ago. Most people who have typein names either do not sell them, or if they do the asking price is often too high vs traffic/revenue. There is a nice name for sale here today like that which I inquired about but the price was something like 30-40 years income ratio!

Henry90639

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this game still very much alive for those of you that are pro on it, or is it a dwindling market due to new domain extensions?

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A type in would be "cars.com" or "vacations.com"
"vacation-videos.info" is not a type in, no matter how much traffic the owner shows you.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Common to fairly common dictionary words that would be expected to yield something (ie-Accomodations NOT Accomodatingly), terms, common phrases, etc. are good. Most type ins are for the ubiquitous .COM extension, of course. I do get type in traffic for some VERY, VERY common .US (ie-Art.US) and other newer extension names too as well as my one very good .MOBI name. As stated by another person here though, .COM is the primary type in domain extension with .ORG following. .ORG type ins would mostly be for non-comm stuff like HealthCare, etc. FInding these terms today isn't easy but I did pick up my best type in revenue producer, a fairly common Spanish word, for $XX on a somewhat obscure site recently that I just happened to look at on the right day at the right time.

Last edited:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Common to fairly common dictionary words that would be expected to yield something (ie-Accomodations NOT Accomodatingly) ...
That is a good example of a "typo type-in". The word is actually Accommodations (with two m's), but people who can't spell might type "Accomodations.com". So it can pay to have commonly misspelled words in your portfolio too. (I don't have any big-revenue ones, but for example, Frelancers*com has gotten 10 clicks in the past 30 days [at $.20/click] and more than pays its own way.)

Last edited:

trlg

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow, u know, guys, i certainly didnt expect to get as much replies as i've gotten in this thread, but thanks a lot!!!

Is this game still very much alive for those of you that are pro on it, or is it a dwindling market due to new domain extensions?
yeah, I would ask the same question too. Except my point isnt so much about new extensions, but really about the increasing intelligence, or savviness of web users... Are they getting smarter, and less likely to type in stuff? or?

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, u know, guys, i certainly didnt expect to get as much replies as i've gotten in this thread, but thanks a lot!!!

yeah, I would ask the same question too. Except my point isnt so much about new extensions, but really about the increasing intelligence, or savviness of web users... Are they getting smarter, and less likely to type in stuff? or?

Actually, as more people start using the internet you will find that newer users (usually older folks) will type in a keyword into the address bar in their browser, not into a search engine... I was working with a gentleman recently who did this constantly, it drove me nuts! For example, if he was looking for a gardening product he would type 'gardening' into the address bar and that would actually act as a search (depending on browser settings)... but if he was trying to remember a site that he had found previously he would type something like gardeningsupplies.com and keep trying until he found what he wanted...

I was shocked but that is how a lot fo folks do it...

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was working with a gentleman recently who did this constantly, it drove me nuts! For example, if he was looking for a gardening product he would type 'gardening' into the address bar and that would actually act as a search (depending on browser settings)... but if he was trying to remember a site that he had found previously he would type something like gardeningsupplies.com and keep trying until he found what he wanted...

I was shocked but that is how a lot fo folks do it...
I'm so irritated by that as well... And they don't even want to learn the right way, because they "always managed to find things this way". Makes me just wanna give up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom