Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can anyone please advise on basic process for setting up US company for UK citizen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am from the UK and would like some basic advice or pointers on setting up a US company so that I may develop one of my domain names.

I want to develop my www.JesusChri.st domain by putting up the King James Bible on it. I am in the process of developing the site but have just found out that under a special Act of Parliament this version is under perpetual Crown Copyrighthere in the UK, :upset: It is though able to be published and is published freely and with impunity in the US where the Crown Copyright is not held binding in this particular case.

So what is really needed here it would appear is for a 'US' company to publish it, hence the request for details on how I would set up a US company and what form it should take, etc..

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice offered.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi PC,

It could be a tricky argument, and our legal system here is open to so many interpretations that the cost of finding out in court could prove very high, hence the simple and probably cheaper option is to just form a US company and transfer the domain to that entity.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi PC,

It could be a tricky argument, and our legal system here is open to so many interpretations that the cost of finding out in court could prove very high, hence the simple and probably cheaper option is to just form a US company and transfer the domain to that entity.

I understand. Yup, it might sound like a good idea to form a US company if it's not too much of a hassle. Good luck!

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the site meant for profit or strictly for religous purposes? If for profit, why not form a partnership with a US resident, push the name to their U.S. account, have it hosted on this side of the pond. If it's strictly informational & no advertising, etc, I may consider hosting it for you for free. Are there any legal implications at all for a U.S resident to put it online? Any legal ramifications for using the .st extension with it, and /or from the US?

Scott

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc Com your PM received, many thanks.

Scott thank you for your offer but the site will earn an income through advertising and sponsorship.

As an aside, I just told my wife that I am now having to work around a special Act of Parliament - her reply was simple and straight forward "Bill, it could only happen to you!" :lol:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I just told my wife that I am now having to work around a special Act of Parliament - her reply was simple and straight forward "Bill, it could only happen to you!" :lol:
My wife's reply any time something remotely illegal comes up (especially during tax season) is, "I'm not going to be your cell mate!"

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Good Grief!

When was this judgment passed?

Side note:

I noticed the reference to the King James Bible of 1611. This was, in fact, the first year it was published.

I have an edition from 1695 having belonged to the Waite family.

I often look at it and wonder how many people learned to read and write from this book. There are numerous blank pages that have fascinating penmanship and calligraphy practice. It is quite marvelous to look at. The family history is included up to a certain point. One of the young ladies used it much like a diary.

A wonderful heirloom.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

From the prose, I had put it at about 1970'ish - good to see you tied it down. Are you sure there's no 'click-use' on this Crown copyright? I did spend a little time looking but of course the British government OPSI website threw me in all directions. Ughh.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Zoo,

I spent some considerable time on the phone with both the OPSI and Cambridge University Press today making sure. The killer is that both acknowledged that the KJB is published on the internet freely abroad but insisted that would not be looked at whilst denying permission here in the UK and claiming in court.

The best thing is though that as I have decided to set up via the States it does at least tilt my hand into full development, and I do not just mean the website.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Super Bill. Will follow your progress with interest. Best of luck as always mate. If I can help with anything, you have my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom