Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Can buy ICANN-accredited registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNGod

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greetings eveyone,
Me and partner are always interested in buying ICANN-accredited registrar. It is preferable for registrars to be inactive, i.e. the point of the deal is to buy an accreditation.
We are also interested in partners, which can help us to get an accreditation quickly (except LogicBoxes).
If you have an offer to make, send a PM, please.
Thank you for your attention.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greetings eveyone,
Me and partner are always interested in buying ICANN-accredited registrar. It is preferable for registrars to be inactive, i.e. the point of the deal is to buy an accreditation.
We are also interested in partners, which can help us to get an accreditation quickly (except LogicBoxes).

Thank you for posting your request here, which prompted me to finally complete an article I had sitting around. It's titled "Becoming an ICANN accredited registrar - buy vs. apply" and lists the different advantages and disadvantages from a new application vs. buying an already accredited registrar.

Considerations here could be (depending on your goals).

• changing the jurisdiction of a registrar can be time consuming and difficult (you're buying a company, not just the accreditation)
  • ICANN will now normally verify that the new owner fits the requirements of the RAA
  • you may be left with existing registrants (customers) that you will have to continue to support and manage

I've also sent you a PM.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup not to mention you are left with a slim margin after ICANN and Verisign take the lions share... Prices are going up next year too... You'll be lucky to make a dollar off each registration. You'll have to make your money off of domain parking and whois privacy.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yup not to mention you are left with a slim margin after ICANN and Verisign take the lions share... Prices are going up next year too... You'll be lucky to make a dollar off each registration. You'll have to make your money off of domain parking and whois privacy.

ICANN fees were just lowered for those registrars who signed the new RAA - but you can expect registry fees to go up again next year. Generally if you are just registering domains for yourself and don't need much manpower or license fees for registrar software the magic number as of which it can start to make sense is about 10,000 domain names.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how much is accreditation now?

ICANN lowering fees? never ;P

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how much is accreditation now?

ICANN lowering fees? never ;P

Actually the per domain management ICANN fees did go down twice over the course of the last 3 years from $0.25 to $0.18 per domain now.

The application fee to become accredited is still at $2,500 as far as I know. You need to provide proof of liability insurance for at least $500,000 and show that you have $70,000 in cash or line of credit. Fixed cost per year is still around $10,000, even though quarterly fees for low volume registrars have been relatively low lately.

blacknight

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Buying a registrar is pointless. You still need to go through practically the same process as a new accreditation and you will always be "tainted"

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you can see list of company offering Accreditation consultancy service at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Registry_Registrar_Solutions

Thanks for including us (DomainCocoon) in your list.

A note for those considering becoming ICANN accredited: While we do recommend to have all the contracts and arrangements reviewed by a lawyer, it's interesting to note that the accreditation application is certainly heavier on the technical side rather than on the legal side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom