Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

can domain purchases can be claimed as tax deductible "business expenses"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been reading around and seen a few people mention this...is it true? and how does it work?

Domain Days 2024

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes if it's your business. Tell your accountant that reg fees are counted as a rental on an item. Third party purchases can simply be deducted as an expense of goods.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reg fees obviously because they have a 1 year life. I wouldn't be so sure about several thousand dollars worth of purchases though. If you plan to sell them, I think they would be a cost-of-goods and couldn't be written off until they are resold. If you plan to monetize them, I believe they would be an asset and have to be depreciated over a period of years. If you have over $2,000 worth of purchases in a year, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off directly in the first year, definitely get a professional opinion.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it is your business the best thing is to purchase a name and then reg it for 10 years and you can split the cost on all 10 years with depreciation.

Having it deducted on all first year could be possible, but it also depends on your earnings.. get a professional opinion and let him see what's better for you.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depends on which country. In my country the law specifically says that domain names expenses are not deductible. That's why I formed a company in the US.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess the question that hasn't been asked is: are you claiming taxable income from your domains? If you are, then certainly your expenses related to that income must get accounted for one way or another. If you are not, then just claiming a bunch of business expenses with no related income is a whole lot sketchier.

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
I guess the question that hasn't been asked is: are you claiming taxable income from your domains? If you are, then certainly your expenses related to that income must get accounted for one way or another. If you are not, then just claiming a bunch of business expenses with no related income is a whole lot sketchier.

well what if your claiming money from advertising? isnt that in the same market...

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the cost of your domains in some way related to that money you are claiming? Or do you mean money from like a job in advertising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom