Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can I drop a domain I have just registered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alangs

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Advice please

I registered a domain name that I saw on a drop list yesterday.

Later I googled for any reference to this domain name and I found that it may have been used in some scam/phishing operation.

I decided that I should drop this name as I did not want to be associated with any former use of this domain.

I contacted Moniker and asked them to cancel my registration, and they replied that registration fees could not be refunded, which wasnt what I asked.

The domain is still in my Moniker account.

What do I do to disassociate myself from this domain?

T

tekz999

Hmm, you might just let it expire and refrain from using it. Null the NS servers, and put no website on it.

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Advice please

I registered a domain name that I saw on a drop list yesterday.

Later I googled for any reference to this domain name and I found that it may have been used in some scam/phishing operation.

I decided that I should drop this name as I did not want to be associated with any former use of this domain.

I contacted Moniker and asked them to cancel my registration, and they replied that registration fees could not be refunded, which wasnt what I asked.

The domain is still in my Moniker account.

What do I do to disassociate myself from this domain?

alangs - Open a help ticket under Moniker Support Center and ask that the domain be removed from your Moniker account.

alangs

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
alangs - Open a help ticket under Moniker Support Center and ask that the domain be removed from your Moniker account.

Hi Jrzeygirl

Moniker support have just replied to my last email and offered to do just that plus change the contact detals. Which is fine.

Mant thanks for your advice and to everyone who responded.

geekdomainer

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, here is some quick useful information.

A domain name can be deleted/dropped from a registrars account (moniker here for instance), if it is in the Add Grace Period (5 days starting from the reg date) as per ICANN rules.

To prevent domain tasting and abuse of the AGP, registrars generally have an AGP policy in place. For example, deduction of 1 usd on domains deleted within the AGP.

Can some1 from moniker, comment on their take on AGP - do you provide it? If yes, alangs you could delete the domain name and get refunded the domain name reg. fee.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Geek

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some registrars (incl Moniker) used to delete domains within 5 days - some with an additional fee. Given recent ICANN changes, this now comes at a cost to the registrar and many stopped offering it. Good to see Moniker looking after its customers.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many registrars do have the option of dropping a name. The nightmare scenario is to have everything ticked off and then click that. That's one way to accidentally exit domaining in a hurry! As to your name, if its a decent, generic name, I'd just hold it or park it. You aren't the one who scammed anyone and aren't going to continue the tradition. If its a cruddy name that just had some traffic, then I'd dump it. Moniker should be able to (AND CAN) do that for you sans a refund, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom