Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can I protect this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How does one go about protecting an online game, whereas the game itself is unique, but uses current technology to produce/perform?

In the past I have created and patented a manufacturing system for the food industry, but this was;

a.) very costly - about £40,000
&
b.) very slow - took four years to be granted.

In the fast-moving online world, I'm guessing there must be a quicker way to gain protection.

Can copyright be employed to protect specific funtions?

Any help or input appreciated.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have copyright over the content you create, including code and visual items. DMCA is pretty handy in making hosts take down sites that steal your content.

Patents are probably the best protective way to go but as you said its long and expensive.

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You should file for copyright protection with the appropriate governmental entity. In the U.S., it's the United States Copyright Office. Copyright registration is a prerequisite to bringing suit in the U.S. and a pre-existing copyright registration is a requirement for obtaining statutory damages and seeking attorney's fees. By treaty, (the Berne Convention) members of signatory nations may assert copyright infringement claims in the U.S., but damages would be governed under U.S. law, which requires a U.S. filing for statutory damages.

As to functionality of a game, if you think that you've created something original and novel, you should consult a patent attorney, which I am not. John Berryhill is a good one.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brett - very useful information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom