Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can i register a domain with trademark in it if I'm selling that product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can I have a trademark in my domain even I'm legitimately selling there product?

RustyK

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried with Rolex years ago and got The Letter so I guess the answer is NO.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take a look at MacMall dot com.

The short answer to your question is yes.

The long answer is you MUST have the TM owner's permission. Even stuff like images and product descriptions are copyrighted.

Without that permission, you may be lucky if all you get is a C&D instead of a summons and pay actual damages and restitution.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you work some sort of deal out with the trademark owner you probably should stay away from any domain with the TM in it.

Skinny

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think perhaps a visit to Howard Neu's blog, NeusNews.com/blog might help illuminate the problems with using a TM name when reselling the product.

If you are, or think you will be making substantial money from this possible endeavour then my advice would be to spend the dollars and get good legal advice, this is not a clear cut area of the law.

Hope this helps.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
one has to be an authorized dealer/distributor of the product and has to be assigned certain privileges regarding the TM and marketing.

Without that specifically nailed down from the beginning, you're setting yourself up to be completely raped. Sooner or later, that WILL happen.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
one has to be an authorized dealer/distributor of the product and has to be assigned certain privileges regarding the TM and marketing.

Without that specifically nailed down from the beginning, you're setting yourself up to be completely raped. Sooner or later, that WILL happen.

That would sum it up. Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom