Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can I use a screenshot of google in an image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey99

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am creating an image and it includes a screen shot from google. including part of their logo.
Is this illegal or a TM violation?

Should I email them a copy of the image for approval? Probably rubber stamp NO

I don't want to get into to trouble with the "G men" :)

Thanks for any advise

Smokey

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why use their site, is it mandatory to what you are doing?

-=DCG=-

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are you planning to do with the image?

Are you a police photographer taking crime scene photographs of someone who died in front of their computer while their browser was open to Google? If yes, then by all means go ahead and take the picture.

Given any of the infinite other possibilities for whatever you are doing, the answer might be yes or no. But at least we've got the police crime scene photographer thing out of the way.

smokey99

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LoL jberryhill as a matter of Fact... :)

The man was shot dead in front of his PC when his wife saw the search results on his screen in Google :)

Seriously
The graphic is for an SEO company, so the focus on search engines or SERPS is the intent and G being the big guy......... WEll you know.

But I don't want to poke the bear, I can't afford any Philadelphia Lawyer's :) to pull my but out of the fire.

Smokey
Sorry John, forgot to address, what I am going to do with it.
Post it on a web site, use it as a banner, ...
Thanks for any advise
Smokey

JonR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
smokey99 said:
The graphic is for an SEO company, so the focus on search engines or SERPS is the intent and G being the big guy......... WEll you know.

Seems to me, you plan on profiting off of the google logo, which I would say is risky business.

smokey99

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand JonR, thats why I am asking.
Many companys, especially SEO companies display google and other SE logos, but does not make it legal.

I am in no way claiming to be associatied with G, just that we focus on results in G

I guess the only one who knows for sure is the google police :)
I should search their site they probably have there logo use policy somewhere.

Thanks
Smokey

JonR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Find a SEO firm that does something similar to what you are talking about, email google and tell them you plan on doing something similar and ask for their approval. If they say no you wouldn't have given away your website URL in case you will do it anyways, and if they say yes... well congratulations.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's say that you were filming a commercial for an auto repair shop that specialized in repairing Volkswagens. Now, you would like to have a shot of your mechanics busily working away on some automobiles.

What sort of automobiles do you think might appear in that shot?

smokey99

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks schmidte, I checked out the link and am going to request permission to use the logo.
After reading there guidelines,I think I may have a chance.

John, That is pretty much the concept of my image.
In A way SEO work is like being a google mechanic, or at least an oil changer of cars that run on google :)

Apparently the request process can take several weeks, I will post here again once I know what the G men say.

Thanks everyone

Smokey

schmidte

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Apparently the request process can take several weeks"

For me it's been several months...still waiting.
Ed

smokey99

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks
I guess I'll stop holding my breath
:)

Smokey

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of the conditions for all uses is that you can't mess around with our logo. Only we get to do that.
http://yagoohoogle.com/ Looks that guy is doing something that could get him in trouble.

In the other hand, I own www.goog.org, and I was wondering what John Berryhill would think of that use of their logo. I am useing their adsense for the searchresults on top, so they are, sort of, sponsoring the content. I do however have domainsponsor results there too and a popup, so that may not sit well with them.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am useing their adsense for the searchresults on top, so they are, sort of, sponsoring the content.

Then you should, sort of, read the terms and conditions to which you agreed in connection with the adsense program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom