Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can I use the word "cPanel" in my hosting domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collector

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am totally clueless when it comes to TM related names.

Obviously cPanel is a TM word, so what I want to know is that I can start a hosting service on a domain name that contains the "cPanel" word? Some names in use:

• cPanel-Host.com
  • EasycPanel.com
  • WholesalecPanel.com

I appreciate your inputs and TIA!

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, from USPTO:

Word Mark: CPANEL
Goods and Services: IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer software for facilitating the management and configuration of Internet web servers. FIRST USE: 1998/01/06. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1998/03/27
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78303244

I've just read through cPanel's legal and licensing stuff. If you are going to offer cPanel's products as your hosting service and you have a license from cPanel, then you can use your domain name by arrangement with them.

If you are going to reg a domain containing "cpanel" and use this just as a way to attract traffic, and then NOT offer cPanel products... what do you think?

No brainer.

BTW, EasycPanel.com does not resolve. cPanel-host.com looks really hokey, and WholesalecPanel.com looks completely legit.

Steve

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, from USPTO:

Goods and Services: IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer software for facilitating the management and configuration of Internet web servers. FIRST USE: 1998/01/06. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1998/03/27
Serial Number 78303244

I've just read through cPanel's legal and licensing stuff. If you are going to offer cPanel's products as your hosting service and you have a license from cPanel, then you can use your domain name by arrangement with them.

If you are going to reg a domain containing "cpanel" and use this just as a way to attract traffic, and then NOT offer cPanel products... what do you think?

No brainer.

BTW, EasycPanel.com does not resolve. cPanel-host.com looks really hokey, and WholesalecPanel.com looks completely legit.

Steve

You're right 100%

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BTW-2 Thanks for introducing me to cPanel. I'm using PLESK, but this looks like a really cool platform!!

Collector

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, from USPTO:

Serial Number 78303244

No brainer.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply! That's really informative.

I intend to use the domain name to provide web hosting services (loaded with cPanel as the control panel) as a reseller. cPanel will be provisioned by my reseller web host and that will probably be an officially licensed version.

By arrangement with them do you mean that I need to sort of ask them for permission first?

Anyway I thought about it and finally submitted a ticket to cPanel requesting for permission to use the domain name to provide web hosting services. I mean since I want to run a legit business (not just driving traffic and monetizing), it'll be good to ask as a form of protection.

Thanks for your help! I'll post their reply here. ;)

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to help.

If you look through cPanel's site, all of the licensing and legal stuff is easy to find.

Best of luck to you.

And thanks again for turning me on to cPanel, now my developers are gonna go ballistic when I ask them to look at this as an alternative to Plesk!!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom