Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Can stolen domain be "frozen"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I have gotten back my stolen domain, CZV(.)net.

I promised the guy I got it from (apparently not the thief) that I would keep our latest correspondence private. I did reimburse him for the amount he said he paid for it (well below its value). It's now locked up safe and sound in my GoDaddy account.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and support after I lost it! :thumb:

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Anybody wanna buy a slightly used LLL.net? :)

Hi guys,

I just got scammed out of a good domain this morning - I received the PayPal payment and made the GoDaddy push, then got a PayPal email saying the payment was unauthorized and was being removed from my account. (I didn't realize that could happen; thought that once the money arrived, it was mine.)

GoDaddy says they can't put any kind of "freeze" on a domain (to prevent change of registrar or ownership) without a court order. Is that really true? What steps do you think I should take?

Thanks,
Dave

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You would lose the name either ways.
Enom will freeze the name but they will not return the name back to you without the court order.
Godaddy would do nothing as they don't want to get involve in litigattion.

Even in the case that they will freeze the name, you can't afford a lawyer as the cost would start around 10K and up.

Just be careful when dealing with strangers. Escrow is the only way to go.

Sorry about the incident and hoping it's not a high-value name.

John

Kamloops

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a stolen name one time. I did not know it was stolen. It was via Sedo and the name was olive.com.

Before I sent payment to sedo and contacted the previous owner as the name was at too good of a price. He told me the name was stolen from him. He had it regged with an old hotmail email address that expired and someone picked it up or something like that. Then they just transferred the name left it as is for 60 days then BANG.

Anyways it was with Network solutions I seem to reacall, between them, sedo and myself we got the name back. Sedo delayed the guy so he would not sell it elsewhere and then they were able to get it back to the owner Tim Olive.

I even transferred the cash to sedo to buy the name and Tim was just going to pay me back for it, that is how important it was to him. But then Network Solutions and Sedo stepped in and took care of things they were awesome. I got my money back and the owner even sent me a couple of hundred bucks. he was very gratefull.

I would get on your registra's case and paypal dont give up. Who is the guy that did it, let us all know and what was the name just in case we see it for sale.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WTH! ....
So now we can't assume a payment is any good from PP even when they say in the email they send...
"You've got new funds!" Shouldn't they make sure it is good before sending the confirmation?

Was he Verified PP?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some one may hack into a good Paypal account and pay for the name.
Verified Paypal members means nothing as it's unauthorized account access.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gotcha John.....that makes sense...

Good Luck Dave...

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Was a member here?
A new member here, now banned ... and I will no longer deal with people with trader ratings of 0.

(Yes, I should have known better, but I thought that after I received the PayPal payment, it was a solid deal. I didn't know PayPal could "undo" unauthorized payments.)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been moving my names to Moniker and I guess it might have to be Moniker escrow on the larger sale with traders I don't know or can't verify myself.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Paypal can undo any transactions, not just unauthorization ones. If you read their policy, you will see. If someone hack in an legitimate account to send you money, they can still file a dispute with the credit card company that the transaction isn't authorized. Guess what will happen next...

Seller doesn't benefit anything from using Paypal...

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the name for future reference

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People you should start using Payment method other than PayPal most people use it but you loose too much money one of the best paypal alternative around is MoneyBookers.com i am not an affiliate or something just a suggestion i have lost money in PayPal through similar scams MoenyBookers doesn't support Charge backs and has better security than PayPal.

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
network solutions freezes 'stolen' names without court order (a simple few emails and phone calls) and pushes them into the rightful owner's account. at least sometimes. they did it in a transaction I was part of once.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People you should start using Payment method other than PayPal most people use it but you loose too much money one of the best paypal alternative around is MoneyBookers.com i am not an affiliate or something just a suggestion i have lost money in PayPal through similar scams MoenyBookers doesn't support Charge backs and has better security than PayPal.
I do have a Moneybookers account, and my few transactions there have all gone smoothly. Maybe I should encourage buyers to use it.

network solutions freezes 'stolen' names without court order (a simple few emails and phone calls) and pushes them into the rightful owner's account. at least sometimes. they did it in a transaction I was part of once.
I talked to two GoDaddy reps this morning. The first was appallingly unhelpful, so I tried again. The second one was intelligent enough to check with his boss when he didn't know an answer, but he still couldn't help me.

A member of this forum kindly gave me the name of a GoDaddy rep who had helped him in a similar situation, so I sent an email (that rep is out of the office today). I hope to have better news to report to you all next week.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
YES a name can be held. Contact a lawyer like John Berryhill or in Canada Zak Muscovitch etc.

Once they are acting for you they will notify the registrar of the problem ( dispute of ownership ) and ask the legal department to put the name on HOLD, that way the registrant cannot move the name or change whois. I would do this immediately. Josh

On a side note knowing the name would be nice if he tried to sale it and exposing their username as well. If you choose not to get a lawyer I would say your SOL.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Once they are acting for you they will notify the registrar of the problem ( dispute of ownership ) and ask the legal department to put the name on HOLD, that way the registrant cannot move the name or change whois. I would do this immediately.

While any lawyer can do that, the registrar reserves the right to decide when
to lock the domain name and when not to get involved in civil disputes, unless
they receive a Court order or UDRP notice.

One thing I noticed over a period of time is that registrars who do charge a lot
more than industry average ($7-$8 maybe?) seem to be more "willing" to deal
with such. OTOH, it's a case-to-case thing whether to take it head-on or just
tell the party, "We don't wanna get involved in your mess."

Good luck with your dispute, fellow Dave.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True they do not have to. My experience has been they always have, but then again I prefer to use people who know people.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
YES a name can be held. Contact a lawyer like John Berryhill or in Canada Zak Muscovitch etc.

Once they are acting for you they will notify the registrar of the problem ( dispute of ownership ) and ask the legal department to put the name on HOLD, that way the registrant cannot move the name or change whois. I would do this immediately. Josh

On a side note knowing the name would be nice if he tried to sale it and exposing their username as well. If you choose not to get a lawyer I would say your SOL.

good luck getting godaddy to freeze the domain without a court order, ever noticed why most stolen domains are transferred to Godaddy?

I really mean good luck! :eek:k:

A new member here, now banned ... and I will no longer deal with people with trader ratings of 0.

I have never, lost a couple of good sales because of it, but I can say I haven't been (successfully) scammed yet!

Oh but they have tried :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom