Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can we have the posst summaries back please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The email that arrives all of a sudden contains no summaries of new posts. Was that intentional? Regardless, the previous setting was useful as it provided with a summary of the new post to the subscribed thread. Please consider bringing it back!

Upvote 0

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes the email that goes out for thread subscriptions now provides just a link to the thread instead of the entire reply to the thread. Same as for private message notifications, just a link to your control panel instead of the private message itself. The intent is to keep most of the communication on-site.
Many feel they can reply to these emails to write back, but infact they're writing to the system email address instead and the intended recipients were not getting the messages. This change solved that problem. I understand the tradeoff that it's brought, we'll have to weigh it and maybe also seek another method, maybe enable some reply-by-email feature if it's feasible.

T

tekz999

I like the email notification with message for multiple personal reasons. Bring it back please.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And whats the view about this change for private messages?
This can remain with just a link to your inbox, or are the entire contents needed like you guys want back for a thread?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In fact, the old system created less load for the forum. By reading the summaries one could decide whether to view the actual post and follow-up with the conversations. The new system is simple notifications. It leaves me no option but to completely disable the notifications and just read the new posts.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I miss the old system also....I liked seeing the contents in my email...

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use the emails received for replies as a notification, not as a form of communication with members on the board. The emails I think are just to let you know, hey you have a PM, its waiting for you in your inbox when you want to take a look at it. I dont feel like I'm going out of my way to have to go to dnforum and check it.

I would assume that a large number of people used their email accounts to reply back to PM's or maybe even threads...and what MediaHound said, is that thats not the case... The emails get forwarded to the system email address, causing communication errors and might even ruin transactions. You may know better, but does the person you are doing business with know?

MediaHound, maybe some big red bold letters should be slapped on each email, saying "Do not reply to this email."

melmunch

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also really liked to see the post summary. However, I know from running my own forum that you probably get 100+ emails a day who are people thinking they are responding, and if you correct them all, it can take a really long time.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The new system is like an email saying "You have won a fabulous prize! - Click here to view", only to find out upon visiting it's a stale Mars bar. I mean, a lot of the time the comments that we receive notifications for are simply exclamations. The beauty of the previous system is that you'd get one notification with its content and you'd have to visit the thread to receive subsequent ones. Now, it seems we get notified for EVERY new post regardless of visit, plus there is no content. It's non-practical and annoying.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nothing was changed in regards to "regardless of visit", Theo, all that was changed was the text of the emails.
Thank you for your continued feedback though, everyone.
All is being taken under consideration.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Not sure if anything changed along with the summaries, however, as I said: the emails I'd get before would be one per visit. If there were 10 posts in the subscribed thread I'd still get 1 email until I revisited the thread. Now, I get 10 emails (and of course they have no summaries).

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At least the private messages should be sent with the complete details..the content thread was also a plus point because dnf was the only forum doing it and it wade life much easier and faster :)

So my vote goes for PM in email..the content is something i can hold back on.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just about to ask the same..

I really appreciated the summary function, as I'm often checking my e-mail on my PDA-phone and when you had the summaries enabled, I didn't have to login to DNF every time I received a new PM.

pheven

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I miss both the post summaries and the contents of PM messages. It was a quick way to triage which messages to simply delete, and gave me an idea of how quickly I needed to address those remaining. It also provided a great way of filing documentation about a sale in the email folder I keep for each transaction. There is not long-term much documentation value with the current emails.

So, my vote is to return both to their original full content.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, both settings back the way they were.
Tell your friends they cannot reply to system generated emails, as the intended recipients will not get their message!
Regards

pheven

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!! This in much appreciated.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Awesome :D Thanks guys!

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom