Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can you get sued for creating a not for profit forum using companynameSUCKS.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are safe as long as it's a consumer warning site.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can always get sued for anything. Remember UDRP and court are two different things. For UDRP you have to establish a "Right or legitimate interest"A consumer complaint site has been found by most panels (not always) to be a legitimate use. Courts will also allow Complaint and/or satire usage of TMs as long as the commercial aspect is not built on the backs of the TM. Overall you should be ok just be careful how you monetize. If this is a serious site(s) for you, check with a lawyer or advocate organization.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In America, you can get sued anytime about anything.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I suggest you be careful.

You obviously can't make money from the company's trademark in any way.

I remember reading something about PaypalSucks.com and how Paypal wasn't a fan . . . but ultimately it is still up.

Just be careful in how you run the site.

Skinny

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If your restricted from advertising or making money, then why bother?

People who put up complaint sites do it because they want to get even, because they feel ripped off and want to tell their story to the world..... Justice is what their after, not money. Your not one of these people so why bother?

You can use that forum software and devote your time to something much more productive.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm personally am not a lawyer....but IMO - I agree with people above. Anyone can sue you for anything, then it comes down to what kind of case they build and how others will see it (judge/jury). I wouldn't do it...spend your time building and towards positive things. However that being said...there is sometimes you have to fight. Then I say crush em!!! :pound:

Not sure who your target is but " there is more than one way to skin a cat"

:yo:

:yo:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many states and courts have clear cut differences in "not for profits" (many institutions like hospitals - have to spend that money for the betterment of the community even if it is the hospital adding on, renovation, etc) and "non profit organization" (donate money, services, goods to charitable causes).

Most people use the two interchangeably but there are distinctions.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy has been trying to get nodaddy.com down for years with zero luck.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom