Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can you infringe on a generic name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunroof

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a generic name that is missing the second letter (this isn't my name, but think something like cmputers.com). I want to use my name to sell the product described by the name, but someone else is using the full name (computers.com).

If I use my name to sell the product, am I infringing on the owner of the full name? I don't think so, but I wonder what others think.

I look at Computer.com and Computers.com, which are owned by different companies, so I don't think my name should be a problem. Thanks.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If it is a truly descriptive term, such as computer to sell computer, or apple to sell apples etc, you should be fine in most circumstances. Descriptive terms cannot be trademarked (ie Computers, Inc can't tm 'computers').

Now, if there was a company called, say, Apple, selling computers and peripherals ;), and you got Aple.com, and tried to sell computers and peripherals, there would be a problem. A big one.

Descriptive terms can be trademarked for other uses than the descriptive meaning. So watch out for that.

Also, you can infringe if Computers, Inc got their logo trademarked (an image tm) and you made a similar logo, you could run afoul of TM rights there...

There is a lot to consider, but generally speaking, descriptive terms used for the descriptive use, shouldn't have any problems. Not a lawyer, but that's what I have picked up from my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom