Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Can You Market a Generic Domain to a Company Using that Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a general question I have that I've run into a few times and was wondering if anyone had input into this...

If I own a generic domain, let's say Hand.com (this is not my domain), and there is a company called Hand which operates on another TLD, let's say Hand.net, can I contact them and offer to sell them Hand.com or would I be opening myself up to a UDRP if I do this?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
can I contact them and offer to sell them Hand.com or would I be opening myself up to a UDRP if I do this?

The latter is more likely to happen. Let them contact you instead to especially offer buying the domain.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Someone I know was accused in a UDRP decision of contacting the owners of a .net domain asking if they wanted to sell it, simply to try and sell their .com to the owners of the .net . Of course that was not true ,but then UDRP panelist's are usally biased against domainers as we know.

DG

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do not consider this to be legal advice.

If it's truly as generic as hand, I wish such a company good luck in claiming it as their domain. There are numerous other companies out there which use the word "hand" in their name, and I think it can be proven as generic enough that you wouldn't lose in a UDRP.

However, stranger things have happened. If you PM me the domain I'd be glad to help you out and evaluate how much of a risk it is to sell/offer.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do not consider this to be legal advice.

If it's truly as generic as hand, I wish such a company good luck in claiming it as their domain. There are numerous other companies out there which use the word "hand" in their name, and I think it can be proven as generic enough that you wouldn't lose in a UDRP.

However, stranger things have happened. If you PM me the domain I'd be glad to help you out and evaluate how much of a risk it is to sell/offer.

I think this is not good legal advice. Generic terms can indeed operate as source identifiers. Furthermore, evidence offered by the Trademark registrant that the owner of the other extension indeed knew of the Trademark registration prior to obtaining the differing domain in a differing extension would be extremely damaging.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Just as a final point - capitalizing off the reputation of a trademark holder (even generic terms) is wrong. And will get you in trouble. I have disputes in motion regarding these types of matters all the time. It called policing ones trademarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom