Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Canadians lead world in internet use: report

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, i thought the US would have lead the way, but it looks we do. nice find

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Probably because it's so cold in Canada so more indoor time to work on the computer.

For some Canadians that would hold true but for many winter is just another season or a great recreational opportunity (skidoo, ice-fishing, hockey, skiing etc). But it would be interesting to compare Canada to other rich Northern nations like Sweden, Norway and Finland to see if weather is indeed an underlying reason for high usage.

It's certainly not because access to the Internet is cheap in Canada, and many parts are yet to get reliable high-speed internet all together.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes we are lucky to have a balance of all four seasons. Anyways, there are states that get more snow and are colder than Canada (Bulffalo for example brrrrr)

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's certainly not because access to the Internet is cheap in Canada, and many parts are yet to get reliable high-speed internet all together.

In reply, here is a A comment from Some guy name Rob

"So we're the heaviest internet users in the world, paying more than almost anyone else and our speeds are atrocious.

There needs to be a solution to the anti-competitive nature of the large telecoms who are squeezing the life out of our internet.

Internet throttling, limits to our bandwidth and slow speeds means Canadians are limping into the 21st century.

Don't forget about how Canadians are getting screwed by usage based billing! I currently have a 15mbps down/1mbps up connection at home and refuse to upgrade to the 30/5 connection because it has a monthly bandwidth cap. How is they give us a bigger pipe, but tell us to use less? Netflix could be a lot better if Canadians had a half-decent connection without limits..."

It is sad to hear that.. They do charge a lot in Canada and speed sucks. USA has one of the best Internet options in the world I think. For most places you pay under $50 for unlimited use and bandwidth and speed is pretty good for broad band althought probably not as fast as Japan and Korea.

Another Comment

"Bell and Rogers together make up about 28 Billion in revenue. Verizon alone generates some 110 Billion in revenue. Canada is a huge nation with a small population to support such infrastructure. Inherently, the costs will be higher.

Not that the Canadian government is helping. The US government is investing 18 billion into their broadband infrastructure. The Australian government invested 31 billion into theirs (and they have a smaller population than Canada). The Chinese and Korean governments invested nearly 90 billion in the past 5 years into their infrastructure.

How much has our government invested? I found a few news articles on 90 million... not even 1 tenth of 1 billion.

Perhaps that's why we pay so much for so little..."

Another Comment

So Canadians are some of the highest users in the world? So why doesn't the quality of service offered reflect that? Canadians get gouged and speeds are dreadful.

In Japan I pay about $40 CDN a month for 100mps and unlimited access. Why do Canadians not get the same deal? Canada had the potential to be the front runner in the world for Internet service. Instead profiteering and gouging...shameful on the part of companies like Bell and Rogers. And these companies have the nerve to try and charge on usage base.

I think something should be done about all this what is happening. Canadians are getting screwed by those 2 companies' monopoly basically. Getting so less for paying so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom