Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Celine Dion pledges US$1 MILLION for Katrina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050901/15925.html?.v=1

I must admit that I have never been a big fan of Celine Dion, but I will try to like her from now on, NOT because of her pledge to donate US$1 MILLION for Katrina victim though. ;)

Domain Days 2024

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
I must admit that I have never been a big fan of Celine Dion, but I will try to like her from now on, NOT because of her pledge to donate US$1 MILLION for Katrina victim though. ;)

Just curious, you are going to make more of an effort to like Celine Dion, but NOT because of her pledge to donate US$1 MILLION for Katrina victim. Because of what then?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
Just curious, you are going to make more of an effort to like Celine Dion, but NOT because of her pledge to donate US$1 MILLION for Katrina victim. Because of what then?
You probably have not seen her on Larry King Live (CNN) the other night then. Her emotion *might* have been "calculated", but she did speak MY mind.

scorpio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
paulrogers250 said:
Awww bush hasnt got any money left, He spent his pocket money on the war.

I wonder if bill gates will give anything? Or allready has?

From Microsoft Website..

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/citizenship/giving/relief.asp

> We have pledged $1 million in cash to relief organizations, including the American Red Cross.

> Our company is matching employee donations to nonprofit organizations.

>We have made three buses fully equipped with satellite communications systems available for use as relief operation centers

>We have dedicated space on Microsoft.com, MSN.com and other Web properties to highlight the disaster and encourage giving to the Red Cross and other relief organizations

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if bill gates will give anything?

Let's each wonder what we will give, and not worry about other people. When I look in the mirror, Bill Gates is not staring back at me.
but she did speak MY mind.

Mine too.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's what she said on Larry King Live (CNN) last Saturday (Sep 3):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KING: Joining us now is an old and dear friend, Celine Dion, the musical superstar. She's in her dressing room at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. She will go on stage in about a half hour. She and the director of her wonderful show, a show I've seen, Franco Dragone, have donated by the way, pledged $1 million to the American Red Cross.

What has been your response, Celine, to this? I especially ask this because you're French Canadian from Montreal and New Orleans is a mostly French city.

CELINE DION, SINGER: Correct and I've been there a few times. We've stayed there. I've, you know, filmed videos there and so Rene and I, we've been to New Orleans. And, I have to say, Larry, that and state it as the rest of the world if I may I was watching you behind, there's a television right now, I'm watching and I'm especially waiting like the rest of the world.

I'm waking up in the morning. I'm having a coffee. I barely can swallow it. I come here at Caesar's Palace every night to perform. I barely can sing. But for respect the people who come I am still singing. When I come home at night, my son is waiting for me. I watch television.

Yes, we gave $1 million but what we expect, what I want to look like the rest of the world, I open the television there's people still there waiting to be rescued and for me it's not acceptable. I know there's reasons for it. I'm sorry to say I'm being rude but I don't want to hear those reasons.

You know, some people are stealing and they're making a big deal out of it. Oh, they're stealing 20 pair of jeans or they're stealing television sets. Who cares? They're not going to go too far with it. Maybe those people are so poor, some of the people who do that they're so poor they've never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch those things for once.

The main thing right now it's not the people who are stealing. It's the people who are left there and they're watching helicopters flying over their heads and they're praying. How come it's so easy to send planes in another country to kill everyone in a second, to destroy lives?

We need to serve our country and for me to serve our country is to be there right now to rescue the rest of the people.
We need the cash. We need the blood. We need the support. Right now we need the prayers.

You know when I was hearing a couple of days ago that these things are not reachable it's too full of water, maybe I'm too much like my -- I'm not thinking with my head. I'm talking with my heart. Nobody can open any roofs? The helicopters flying in take two people at a time, take a kayak. Go into those walls.

There's kids being raped at night. They hear gunshots, big guns, what's that? Those people are praying. They're walking. They're like this, hello, do you see us? We're still alive but we're dying. It's terrible.

KING: Celine.

DION: I do not want to talk to you about money.

KING: How do you explain it to your young son?

DION: Well, I have to (INADUIBLE).

KING: Are you OK?

DION: Yes, Rene Charles knows because sometimes he watches televisions with me and I'm saying to him those people went through a big storm and they will be fine because I know at the end they'll be fine and I hope and we're all praying for them. I'm trying not to put to Rene Charles something so dramatic and that's why I'm sorry for crying so hard because I'm holding it for the last week and I'm trying to tell my son that everything is going to be OK. But I see those mothers over there, they're like (INAUDIBLE).

KING: But look at this thins way, Celine, though a lot of people, we've been doing the show now for two and a half hours. We've been asking a lot of people how they can help, how you can help? A lot of people all over the world want to help. You gave $1 million.

You're going to help a lot of people live and survive. You should take great pride in that, one, that you've attained the ability to be able to do that, to be able to give $1 million. You should take pride in that.

DION: I understand it. I understand it's very important because eventually they will need that money but it's just very frustrating that Franco and (INAUDIBLE) and me oh $1 million. This is one thing.

In three months, in six months they will need that money. Right now they're praying for water so we need to send them the water. They don't care about my check. So, it's just frustrating because in our part of the world we're trying our best and we're expecting those people -- I'm sorry.

KING: Your check will turn into something. I know you got to go on soon but we couldn't spend any time with you without asking you, do you have any kind of thing you would like to sing that fits this moment? Is there any song?

DION: Oh, my gosh.

KING: Even if you did a little of it. I don't want to...

DION: Well, the only song that comes to my mind right now is definitely a prayer. I did sing that song a few weeks -- a few years back with Andrea Bocelli.

KING: Ah, yes.

DION: And I cannot think -- I cannot think about a song but a prayer. I will do my very best and I'll do my best.

(CELINE SINGS "THE PRAYER")

DION: God bless them all.

KING: Thank you, Celine. Celine Dion, she'll go on stage in 20 minutes. There's a trooper.

We'll be right back. Don't go away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0509/03/lkl.03.html
bold added

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Let's each wonder what we will give, and not worry about other people. When I look in the mirror, Bill Gates is not staring back at me.

While I agree with the idea, there is one exception: Exxon/Mobil, with $7 billion in PROFITS last quarter (from price gouging and having Americans foot the bill for wars to protect their operations) should donate at least Quarter's profits to the recovery. There should be cameras camped out on their front door until this happens.

Finally, make sure recovery money is NOT spent on rebuilding a city in a sinking HOLE, one that continues to sink 1 inch per year, and sits on the water in a hurricane zone... unless we all want to go through this again in a few years. It would be incredibly stupid to rebuild on the same site -- which makes me think they'll probably do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom