Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Changing Nameserver's IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know how to change a nameserver's registered IP? My main nameservers are dns1.generates.com (66.79.162.200) and dns2.generates.com (66.79.162.201).

generates.com is registered at Dotster - I can find the form to register a new nameserver, but not one for changing the IP of an existing nameserver. I don't want to register new nameservers, as I'll need to change all my domains..

Any thoughts appreciated..

Chris.

Domain Days 2024

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent question.. I too am curious about this.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm changing hosting companies soon, so I'll be losing my IPs. I definitely don't want to have to change every one of my domains..

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At Dotster, to update the nameserver IPs, you use the same form as you did originally to register the nameserver IPs.

You can thank me by replying to the email I sent you a few days ago. ;)

Per the help info at Dotster:

Q:
How do I register Nameservers or update the IP address for my nameserver?

A:
Log into your account. Click on the tab "My domains" either search for the domain you want to register the nameservers for or click on it if it is shown on the page. You can also change the number of domains displayed on a page by clicking on the settings at the top of the page, and you can click "back" and "next" to move from one page to the next and back.

When you click on the domain you need to register your nameservers for, or to update the IP addresses for, click Register Nameservers.

The domain will already be listed, you just need to enter the host name, usually NS1 or DNS1, but it can be anything as long as you do NOT use WWW this will cause problems with domain resolution down the road.

Enter the IP address that your ISP gave you and then continue. Then repeat the process for the second server.

Remember that you have to register at least 2 nameservers. If you don't list 2 servers, and list one of ours or another host, and one of yours, your domain will not always work. It will depend on which server is hit when a request for the domain is put through from a user.

The records are on your server, so if you list another server because the system requires you to list two, and the server without the records happens to be the one that is hit, the domain will come up with an error. Any time the correct server is hit, the webpage will work normally.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameGuy said:
At Dotster, to update the nameserver IPs, you use the same form as you did originally to register the nameserver IPs.

You can thank me by replying to the email I sent you a few days ago. ;)

Per the help info at Dotster:
Thanks Rick! :) I eventually tried that, and it seems to have worked.. just waiting for propagation..

Which email was it? Regarding blogs.org?

Cheers,
Chris.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked for ya. And... yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom