Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Charitable contribution- Domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are the requirements for claiming a federal tax deduction on a donation of a domain name to a charitable organization? I know that a reputable appraisal is required. Are there reputable appraisal services which are acceptable to the IRS which do not charge $500?
Several names which I have would fit nicely for donation (.org's).
I would like to proceed in a manner which would reduce the chance for an audit concerning this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on this subject recently... I seem to remember the consensus being that you can't do it. The only deductible value is your actual verifiable expense.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hasn't anyone attempted to do this? At least considered it?
I would appreciate any input, even if the result of the attempt was not so pretty. I believe proper documentation is the key in order to make the donation deductible. Tell me if I'm dreaming. Uncle Sam gets plenty from me every year. I could use the tax break.:cool:

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stevo,

I don't know how much you plan on deducting, but generally, I do not provide any receipts for charitable contributions if they are less than 5% or so of my income. I just tell my tax preparer that I made $XXXX in contributions to charity.

The worst that can happen is they disallow your deduction. As long as you aren't going nuts with your deductions you should be fine and not need any paperwork.

Deduct what you feel is fair and that you could substabtiate as reasonable should the need arise.

Please note I am not a tax professional nor an attorney.

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i would not want to be the test case on the issue as the domain as property and the lack of familar appraisal methodolgy might raise eyebrows.

i thought of the same thing and my accountant started twitching

but if serious you can ask for a letter ruling on it but i dont think the volume and risk would warrant it

good luck

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't even try to deduct the appraised value of a domain name unless you have rock solid proof that the name is worth that much or else the IRS will eat you alive.

Especially don;t try to claim any appraised value from the ridiculous places that throw out valuations of tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for every stupid name they are paid to appraise.

If you think the name is worth $3,000 or whatever and want to donate it, see if the place with pay you that much and then you can donate the cash. Even then you may run into problems if the IRS thinking the sales price was inflated because the charity knew the cash was coming right back.

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this thread gets to the point of whether a domain name is property, i beleive the domain name and the annual right to renew should be seperated, its the annual right to renew that has the value and i dont know if thats capital gain property or not

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
1. Domains are leased by the Registry, for up to 10 years at a time. You don't own a domain.
2. There was a case where domains were considered as property, by the court in a divorce case. It was on News.com but I don' t have a link

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom