Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Chat room/chat time for newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to have a special chat room or special time set aside in the chat room for newbies. It's sure daunting to go in there when it's obvious that people are wanting to make deals and are irritated to find a newbie on 'their' territory. Any of the veterans who wanted to help or advise (remembering what it was like when they were new to domaining, maybe) could go in and do just that. Otherwise they wouldn't have to be lumbered with us. :(

Upvote 0

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Monica, don't be intimidated! Everyone knows what it feels like to be the "new kid on the block" at some time or another. Just watch and learn and if you spot a chance to ask a question, go for it!

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, MediaHound. But it's awkward. For example, tonight I saw there was just one person in the chatroom - a mod - so I went in to ask a little advice. Then, when I had done so, it turned out there was another person there as well who wasn't shown outside, and I got the feeling I was interrupting, which I probably was. Then, the second person who turned out to be there has an ID that I assumed was some feature attached to the ID of the first person (a technical thing), but to them it must have seemed as if I was butting in. I've been on many chatrooms, usually to do with gardening or writing, and, to be honest, I find that entering DNForum's chatroom is similar to a scene in one of those movies where the little guy opens the door of a bar and is faced with hundreds of massive hairy bikers, all staring at him and wishing him to go away. I'm not saying that's the intention, but that's the effect. :(

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's sure daunting to go in there when it's obvious that people are wanting to make deals and are irritated to find a newbie on 'their' territory.(

Since first coming here to DNF years ago - I've never had or sensed that feeling in Chat - most everyone's been professional, and those who aren't I simply activate the 'Block user' with, as it's Not 'their' territory. Hopefully such an encounter is, and will be, rare.

I got the feeling I was interrupting, which I probably was.

It's a public chatroom and open chat is the norm, not the exception. Sometimes people just park there too, chatting sporaticly, or amongst themselves, but that's the ebb-n-flow of DNF chat, not unlike most any other chat rooms online. People are also free to use PM if they want to keep matters private.

I find that entering DNForum's chatroom is similar to a scene in one of those movies where the little guy opens the door of a bar and is faced with hundreds of massive hairy bikers, all staring at him and wishing him to go away.

Seems like you have a very vivid imagination - I look forward to seeing you in chat! :)

Best of Luck & Success in All Your Endeavours!

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like you have a very vivid imagination - I look forward to seeing you in chat! :)

Best of Luck & Success in All Your Endeavours!

Thanks, NostraDomainus. I do have a very vivid imagination. It has stood me in good stead so far. :)

Last edited:

harleyx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems it only fills up when dnforum goes down. Was packed yesterday when the site was unaccessible for a while. It is my territory now, nobody else is here. I should setup a velvet rope and start charging admission!

SonnyBurnett

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I always meet great guys in DNF Chat. ;)
I hope in future more guys enter...c'mon mods make the DNF Chat the n.1 in domaining world!! :first:

Last edited:

emoneysafe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
edited

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to have a special chat room or special time set aside in the chat room for newbies. It's sure daunting to go in there when it's obvious that people are wanting to make deals and are irritated to find a newbie on 'their' territory. Any of the veterans who wanted to help or advise (remembering what it was like when they were new to domaining, maybe) could go in and do just that. Otherwise they wouldn't have to be lumbered with us. :(

as a child, you ever watch girls jump "double-dutch" rope?

the ropes are turning, as one girl is "timing" the rope's flow before she jumps in...

if you can imagine that, then it's much like the chatroom

you judge the flow

say "Hi" and jump in!

:)

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, biggedon. I'm beginning to get the hang of it, I think. I usually do jump in, but maybe I get the rhythm wrong.

When I was young I often watched girls skip, but had no time for it myself. I wasn't a girly girl, I'm afraid. I preferred climbing trees and playing swords with the boys. :(

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, biggedon. I'm beginning to get the hang of it, I think. I usually do jump in, but maybe I get the rhythm wrong.

When I was young I often watched girls skip, but had no time for it myself. I wasn't a girly girl, I'm afraid. I preferred climbing trees and playing swords with the boys. :(

just be who you be and you'll be alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom