Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale CIRA advertising .ca's

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I am just catching up on some news at abcnews.com and I see a video ad on their front page telling me to GetMyOwn.ca and I am thinking "what the hell is that?"

I realize that the ads are targeted by IP address to Canadians, but I am impressed with the ad. I watch the video and realize the CIRA is behind the GetMyOwn.ca campaign. I thought it was well done.

I don't mind criticizing them for their faults, but I also believe they should be commended when they do something well.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I am just catching up on some news at abcnews.com and I see a video ad on their front page telling me to GetMyOwn.ca and I am thinking "what the hell is that?"

I realize that the ads are targeted by IP address to Canadians, but I am impressed with the ad. I watch the video and realize the CIRA is behind the GetMyOwn.ca campaign. I thought it was well done.

I don't mind criticizing them for their faults, but I also believe they should be commended when they do something well.

I saw this ad in the globe and mail a year or so ago.

In my opinion, it's absolutely terrible marketing. You can't register a domain through CIRA directly, so adding a step to the process only makes things more confusing to the end-user.

You don't see ICANN advertising for .com domains, so why should CIRA, overseeing .ca's, be overseeing advertising for .ca domains?

If I were running the show at CIRA (add that to another reason as to why I want to join the board of directors...), I would provide incentives to the registrars to be advertising the fact that they provide .ca registrations. Ultimately, the registrars getting more registrations benefits CIRA from a fiscal perspective, as well as to strengthen the .ca brand as a whole. We're on track to get .ca right where we want it to be, so now is the time to get it done right.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A web guy I know in town here had two clients ask him to register a .ca domain for their business this past week, even though the .com's were available. Small story I know but maybe more people are starting to think like this.

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A web guy I know in town here had two clients ask him to register a .ca domain for their business this past week, even though the .com's were available. Small story I know but maybe more people are starting to think like this.

Quite true. I am noticing a huge change with businesses and buyers that i am in contact with around the island here to use dot ca. They want local business/products and canadian availability. less shipping charges and no custom problems. CIRA should step up to the plate and advertise more, This applies to us dot ca resellers also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom