Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale CIRA needs to make some changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok so maybe this is just venting... but when is CIRA going to get in the big leagues ??? I am getting very frustrated with supposed "registrars" grabbing names from the drops when in fact these registrars are nothing more than individuals operating a non existing registrar for the sole purposes of getting TBR drops. Over the last 2 weeks, 2 names that would have easily been worth 2K each, have been snapped up for nothing. So much for an open and transparent process !!!

Btw, I contacted CIRA, and after 2 weeks (you would think they would be able to respond a bit faster), they advise me that registrars can do whatever they want. They sure can, but that is why you set the rules CIRA ! Just like Canada, we send 300 athletes to the Olympics and we are so happy they did their "personal best"...same with CIRA, as long as those poor souls try... we accept it ! Time to start winning some medals CIRA :)

Domain Days 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's called the domaining game... if you want to catch something get into the drops.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the drops but as an individual...not as a registrar, thats my point !

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am in the drops but as an individual...not as a registrar, thats my point !
You can set up your own registrar if you are serious about catching drops... what are your demands exactly ?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy would qualify to go after TBR drops now, but not sure how good they'd be at it. It isn't their specialty area.

As for all these 'fake' registrars participating in the drop, you either have to pressure Cira to change the rules, or make your own registrar yourself and play like everyone else. The competition is only going to get worse IMO, you can't always get the names you want, because so many others are chasing them too.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Huge I agree. And SD that is exactly my point, people should not be allowed to setup these "fake" registrars. To me that is not getting serious about drops, its about gaming the system because of loose control by CIRA. If you are serious about drops, you pay for drops in an open and transparent process.

Maybe we should ask pool or sibername if they would like us all to create our own registrars ? I think not :)

revolution1

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No offense but that is what competition is all about. What you are saying is not far off from idiots who call domainers cybersquatters. Get creative try harder, the more time you ***** here the less chance at success you will have out there.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fact that it's happening IMO shows how valuable the .ca domain market is. Cira probably doesn't know before the fact that a new registrar will be 'fake' or legitimate. To implement this check would mean they'd have to come up with criteria, and police registrars, which is more work for them.

Ricks

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I think I have to start learning more about the inner workings of CIRA.

The TBR game could change in one fell swoop by any changes they make.

I was reading the statement of one of their candidates for Board of Dir (Kittredge) and his views on "domaining" usage are questionable.

Also, this industry changes so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if a company like Godaddy introduces "game-changing" services like Pool did a few years ago.

Last edited:

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion, lets all become registrars ! Competition is not about misrepresentation, that is why they have bodies that regulate what competition in almost every industry globally.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
people should not be allowed to setup these "fake" registrars. To me that is not getting serious about drops, its about gaming the system because of loose control by CIRA. If you are serious about drops, you pay for drops in an open and transparent process.
Exactly, you pay for the drops. The TBR auctions are expensive enough don't you think ? You want to pay more ?

Setting up a registrar does not come for free either, it's an investment and a serious business. It's not like they are getting domains for a song as you seem to believe.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have seen the same registrar in the past month receive two quality names...which in my opinion are worth $3k.

It costs about 3-4k to become a registrar and i believe...there is a yearly fee of 1k. I could be slightly off on these numbers...but they are about that.

Now...if you are able to get 6 quality names a year. Seems like a good business. Especially in the future...assuming competition stays at this level.

Wzhxvy has a point...but there is nothing you can do about it. Unless CIRA decides to change their current rules for registrars or completely taking on the role of controlling the TBR process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom