Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

City or State Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auction-Pros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any issues with partial or full City of State domain names.

Example: SeattleCoffee.com, CaliforniaAutos.com, Newyork.info

Are there any kind of copy right issues or can a city or state take your domain or demand that you not use it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whats the name you have a concern with?

Auction-Pros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just any domain name.

I have owned a City name in the past and I never heard anything from any official of the city. I owned it for a few years and I also might purchase another one, but I'm not sure what the risks are.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see...It is not an easy answer though. Trademarks are given with CITY/State + GENERIC - such as "california tortilla" _ so that is why I asked you for more info.

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
I see...It is not an easy answer though. Trademarks are given with CITY/State + GENERIC - such as "california tortilla" _ so that is why I asked you for more info.

That is correct, I heard a past case involving the generic Paris domain name. Maybe you should look that up.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generic or location may be a hard one - even the Queen of England tried to file a WIPO for one (New Zeland I think it was?) and was ruled reverse hijacking. As Onward said - it's when you get into the combos.

Miami.com is OK.
Subs.com is OK.
MiamiSubs.com is NOT OK (unless you go with a meaning other than the sandwich).

Your best bet is to do a trademark search - a free search can save you thousands in legal fees. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom