Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Class Action against Verisign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Customb

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can we get some people together and a lawyer to file a class action against verisign. They are deminishing the value of an unregistered domain by putting up a search engine and making money from the traffic. There was already a $100 Million law suite filed in Orlando. Lets get one filed on behalf of the domain community.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not only that, they are also using your registered (=bought=property) domain's traffic if you haven't set up DNS yet.
Read it again: YOUR REGISTERED domain.

I for one don't recall having allowed Verisign to use traffic from my domains.

And that's just one of the many things that are connected to their action.

Customb

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Typically class action suites are handled for a percentage of the judgement if the case is won.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Usually the lawyers get much of the windfall, while the "class" gets $5 off gift certificates on your next Verisign SSL certificate, or some other junk. Argh.

Best to see them fined, or have .com/net redelegated to a trustworthy company (IBM would be pretty cool; they've shown themselves lately to have good ethics and community awareness).

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Typically class action suites are handled for a percentage of the judgement if the case is won."

Typically, a lawyer must do things like make mortgage payments and buy food in the meantime. I am always amazed by the number of inquiries I receive, and no lawyer is an exception to this, from people whose only exposure to lawyers must be from late night television commercials from the guys who do volume settlements with insurance companies. Yes, they can work on a contingency basis because, quite frankly, slip-and-fall and auto accident cases can be done in your sleep. What these lawyers don't tell you is that you'd get the same settlement from the insurance company without a lawyer (and without the lawyer's cut of up to 45 percent), because the insurance companies pay these claims from fixed settlement tables. The only advantage is that these kinds of lawyers know from experience what the numbers in the tables are, and you don't. So, yes, they might get a higher figure than you might be initially offered and accept.

Then there are the folks who say "the only ones who make out in class action cases are the lawyers". Normally, you have a situation where, say, ten million people have been ripped off by a credit card company to the tune of one dollar each, through some kind of systematic billing error. Now, sure, each of the plaintiffs is entitled to a dollar, but what's the point of any one of them suing about it. So, when the settlement is eventually worked out, after a couple of months of full-time work on a purely speculative basis, the plaintiffs might get fifty cents, while the attorney gets a percentage of a five million dollar settlement. Now, nobody would complain about a lawyer getting, say, twenty percent of a five million dollar settlement. But when the settlement is distributed around at 50 cents for each plaintiff, and one million dollars for the attorney (who was the only one gambling with his livelihood for several months), then people scream about how "unfair" it is that the lawyer got one million dollars.

Class action cases can only be taken on by certain kinds of law firms. There are two reasons for this. The first is that because the lawyer is representing a broad class of people who didn't pick him or her to be the lawyer, then that lawyer has to be "class qualified" by the court handling the case. Typically, the court will look at the firm's experience in handling class action cases. So, this field tends to be a little "clubby" in the first place. Secondly, you are not going to find a solo or small practice lawyer who is class qualified, nor are you going to find a solo or small practice lawyer who has enough of a paying caseload that they can take a flyer on something that is going to take months of work and might, or might not, end up being worthwhile. Sure, you read in the papers about lawyers making out like bandits on some class action cases. The stories about lawyers going into ruin and bankruptcy because these things have dragged out longer than they could financially support themselves are, frankly, not as interesting. But it certainly does happen. If you have the time, watch the movie "A Civil Action" about a lawyer who does just that, and then ultimately faces the ingratitude of plaintiffs who feel that they didn't get paid enough while he shot his life down the toilet on their behalf. It is based on a true story.

Nevertheless, a lawyer with expertise in a particular area can associate with a class-qualified firm to pursue a case. In that situation, there is going to be a fee-splitting arrangement between the lawyer who brought the case and the class-qualified firm. As you might imagine, class-qualified firms can take a major chunk there, while providing not much beyond the ability to keep the case alive.

I am sure there is no shortage of lawyers who would be interested in pursuing the variety of possible actions that could arise from Sitefinder. Netster, for example, has already filed a lawsuit seeking 100 million dollars as the result of its browser plug-in being broken by Sitefinder. There are a variety of other injured parties here, including trademark owners; owners of domains for which they had intended to remain inactive by not setting nameservers (very similar to the register.com suit); and traffic farmers who now have to compete with a party that does not have the same operating costs due to their monopoly position.

However, if you are not familiar with the way Verisign litigates, then you do not understand what is involved. Verisign, as a matter of policy, does not grant or accept time extensions for response to any motion or paper. Immediately upon filing suit against them, they will wallpaper your office with as many motions and filings as they can possibly dream up, and they will take advantage of as many procedural levers as possible to keep you on your toes. Litigating against Verisign is not something that one takes on as a hobby, and I have not met a lawyer yet that doesn't need things like food and shelter.

Scooter

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I first saw this change when I mis-spelt my own domain name.

As a result, I registered and redirected a couple, similar to:
- wwwdomainname.com
- www.domainnname.com

Verisign will be making money from a few different sources with this.

:mad:

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you considered that the defendant may be bankrupted by multiple multi million dollar lawsuits class action and otherwise and the plantiff lawyers would get only a small portion of their fees when they win?

Let me see. We have sex.com with $40 - $100 million, Popular Enterprises LLC $100 million, GoDaddy? And one wonders what else is been prepared by teams of lawyers carefully crossing the t's and dotting the i's right now.

I will include a link to the VeriSign Financials at Yahoo. They make for very interesting reading.

VeriSign Financials at Yahoo.

I am starting to wonder what has really motivated this SiteFinder thing.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"when they win?"

Have you ever noticed how few of these kinds of cases reach a verdict?

Not every legal dispute is a great moral crusade. If you are my competitor in a given business, there are so many dollars in the market. My goal is to maximize the number of those dollars that get into my pocket and to minimize the number of those dollars that go into your pocket. In business, litigation is just another way to do that.

What litigation is really like is a game that I used to play with my friends when I was a kid. We had an electric range at my house. The game went like this. You put your hand down next to mine on the burner, and we turn the burner on "high". The last one who picks up his hand, wins.

Sensible business people see "legal crap" as just another item in the ledger. Sensible attorneys help sensible business people manage the "legal crap" in a way that makes sense. I do not have a single client who is in business to win legal disputes.

Otherwise, you end up with nasty blisters on your hand, whether you win or lose.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE
Have you considered that the defendant may be bankrupted by multiple multi million dollar lawsuits class action and otherwise and the plantiff lawyers would get only a small portion of their fees when they win?

I was under the impression that Verisgn has much deeper pockets than "multi million".

Would they not be able to afford to take them on?

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Financial statements show net Tangible assets at $500,591,000 as of 30-Jun-03. This company may have had deep pockets in the past but they sure know how to loose money!

As for losses this year $142,850,000 Quarter ending 30-Jun-03 and $53,436,000 Quarter ending 31-Mar-03. They also managed to loose $4,961,297,000 in 2002, $13,355,952,000 in 2001, and $3,115,474,000 in 2000.

My guess is a few hits in the $100,000,000 range can spell big trouble.

The following links at Yahoo speak volumes

Annual Financials for VeriSign

Quarterly Financials for VeriSign

Balance Sheet For VeriSign

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Beatz just mentioned exactly what I came to the legal issues forum to discuss. I just noticed that one of my domains that doesn't have DNS is going to their search engine. Wouldn't this be classed as domain hijacking?. Sure, its easy to fix on my end, but regardless of that, verisign still does not have permission to do this....or do they?

RMF

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So this Class action is there due to lack of class in Verisign ?

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Suit filed over VeriSign domain redirect

VeriSign is facing a new class-action lawsuit over its controversial "SiteFinder" service, which redirects all misspelled or unassigned .com domain names to a search page managed by the domain name registrar...

"...This action violates many of the architectural principles that have so successfully supported the phenomenal growth of the Internet to date," Lynn St.Amour, president of the Internet Society, wrote in a letter Friday to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the body responsible for domain name policy. "Not to heed these principles or the advice of numerous technical Internet groups is extremely irresponsible and is putting the stability of the Internet at considerable risk."

VeriSign is able to exert control over all unassigned and misspelled domain names because it serves as the government-approved registry, or ultimate traffic director, for domain names ending in .com or .net. ...

for complete story:
http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-5083161.html

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not clear from this article what is the class which he is hoping to define here. I think this one is limited to certain makers of email software.

There are probably about five or six identifiable classes of injured parties one could make out of the Verisign Sitefinder redirect.

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
John,

What is the status of your effort?

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are probably about five or six identifiable classes of injured parties one could make out of the Verisign Sitefinder redirect.

In a broad sense 5 or 6 classes, but what about subclasses of litigants, and multiple jurisdictions?

If one takes for example Trademark holders? One can say all trademark and service mark holders worldwide, as one class or possibly

All holders of US trademarks sueing in the US under US law, Canadian trademaks holders in Canada under Canadian law, French under French law etc. Then there Famous mark holders, vs regular trademarks, registered vs common law, and of course those litigants that decide to leave the class and sue on thier own.

Because of the worldwide reach and broad range of persons affected I see the possible permutations here as endless. This could really get out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom