Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Cleaning Up Portfolio

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was recently reading an article at Domain Sherpa and it was basically about cleaning up portfolios by deleting non performing domains. Imagine holding a few hundred domains aver 10 years and the carrying costs for registration fees:( Example 300 (domains) * 12 (approx reg) * 10 (years) = $36,000.00. This was a wake up call to get deleting! I was able to delete dozens of names that are not getting traffic or little traffic / no offers and no major development plans. Times have definitely changed :(
I am still buying names but ONLY if they have traffic and ONLY if there is premium value. I am also thinking that with every purchase I need to delete something and simply focus on a portfolio of premium potential and maybe about 100 domains max. Its a tough decision to delete domains but you have history in a relatively mature market depending on the extension ie: .ca and its probably time to simply delete and reduce your carrying costs. You could save thousands per year!

---Rob

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I set up a similar philosophy Rob a couple of years ago.
I gave myself a pool of funds to work with to cover purchase/renewal etc.
If I want to make a purchase and don't have the funds in the pool then I have to sell/drop enough to make up what I need.
I admit to wavering once in a while(but rarely and only for exceptional purchases I can't let go by).

It is a bit of a motivator to keep things in financial control by looking ahead to what is coming in for renewals etc. 6 months ahead and planning for that. That is many times why I will just bash out a bunch of names on the cheap. Not because they aren't names worth owning, I just haven't been able to monetize or market them. My bad... not the domains.;)

Jim

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I really should have started this a couple years back and would have saved more than a few thousand :( Another lesson learned is not to use auto-renew because you don't have a chance to evaluate and possibly delete the domains. Also, if you are carrying IDN's and gTLDs probably time to let the majority of them go (money pits). I have had premium IDN's for years and little to no activity even on the ones with natural traffic.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes auto renew is a nono for me, with a few exceptions. Registrars most of us use send regular renewal reminders every week starting 2 months ahead.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators