Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Click Fraud - fessing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google CFO: Fraud a big threat

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A top Google official said that growing abuse of the company's lucrative sponsored ad-search model jeopardizes the popular Internet search engine's business.

"I think something has to be done about this really, really quickly, because I think, potentially, it threatens our business model," Google Chief Financial Officer George Reyes said Wednesday.

Reyes, speaking at an investor conference sponsored by Credit Suisse First Boston, was referring to an illegal practice known as "click fraud" that occurs when individuals click on ad links that appear next to search results in order to force advertisers to pay for the clicks.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/02/technology/google_fraud/index.htm?cnn=yes

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Article also mentions
Estimates of how prevalent click fraud has become since it appeared four years ago are all over the map. Jessie Stricchiola, the president of Alchemist Media, estimated that as much as 20 percent of all clicks on paid search ads are shams.
20% is really high.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agree...20% is very high.
I found a solution that works very well for me...Don't pay for PPC, all my traffic is free and there is plenty of it. Don't pay someone for SE placement either, just learn what you need to know and do it for yourself...all the info is out there...

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PPC does get results though. I've found that it is extremely useful to kickstart a website.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree 20% is very very high!

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also wonder how much of Google's Adsense links (found on OTHER websites, not the search results page) are click-fraud. I would have thought this number would be higher than the sponsored SEARCH RESULTS page links, since the clicker actually has a vested interest in clicking the links -- it doesn't just force someone else to pay, but puts that money into their own pocket.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
20% on the google search results? I think that's a lie.

ToddW

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google AdSense earnings have really dropped over the last 3 months, and I think it's because advertisers are not spending as much per-click anymore on my certain keywords...

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I ran a PPC campaign a couple months ago with all the major PPC programs , got click frauded to death! I could easily tell where the click fraud was coming from through tracking vs. conversion , knowing my conversion rate on the site I got well over 50% fraudulent clicks , maybe upward of 70%. Here are the worst ones for click fraud in order - FindWhat (I tracked the clicks back to pages with just a welcome on them, findwhat pretty much said "oh well" when I complained), Kanoodle (same thing as findwhat), GoClick (a bit less then first 2 but still a lot), Searchfeed (about same as goclick), Adsense (about the 20% as they think in the article).

The only way to fight against it is to NOT buy clicks but to buy pay-per-lead like CJ , Clickxchange or Clixgalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom