Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.club And Other New Gtlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good article and I have to agree that the lack of marketing coming out the gate is not a good sign of longevity.

However, I also think the figures reported in terms of popularity must be contested. They are totally in conflict with these statistics:
http://www.uniteddomains.com/newgtld-ranking/

The only explanation I can think of is the "live" registrations vs the "pre-regs".

Based on "pre-regs", .club is further down the list.

Ultimately, the new gTLD's will have to stand on their own, with or without marketing.

I do believe a few (primarily those that are tech related or region specific) will be readily adopted.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, thought he retired. Second gig, promoting gTLD's. :(

.VODKA is up next for him so he can have all he can drink up in da .CLUB.

I do believe a few (primarily those that are tech related or region specific) will be readily adopted.

I disagree on the region specific ones from a stance of Japan (strictly speaking .tokyo for this one). This is due to the fact that they're charging a $145 SETUP FEE in addition to the $220 ANNUAL fee. It is easily beat by the ccTLD, .jp ($100) and trends show .INFO ranking higher here than .co.jp (as you need to be a registered company to apply) and it's well recognized because the largest retailer here prints AEON.INFO on their receipts.

Mind you, they're being promoted heavily by the largest girl singing [jailbait] group around too (imagine 50 Cent in his prime * 1000, or maybe Justin Bieber, but 48 good looking girls instead), but have zero active sites, besides the registry of course.

I want to smack GMO Registry in the face with a slab of tuna for being so stupid.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True to the co.jp. It costs around $5,000 just to set up a company so a lot of startups use the .jp ($5 at onamae.com or $99 elsewhere). .tokyo would only refer to tokyo. There are other japanese domains like .ne.jp and even .info would be used before .tokyo. Lets see...what could one use for a .tokyo.......sushi? No. No one looks for sushi on a mobile device unless its on Hotpepper japan (yelp)......ninja? Japanese dont use ninja. They use shinobi.
There could be some .tokyo regs but not the way GMO predicted. Those nuts are thinking about sushi, ninja, samuri, anime...etc...things which the rest of japan would have no reason to search or directly enter into their mobile devices.
Btw, japanese do mot use their PC/macs at home like we westerners do. They heavily use their mobile devices......so theyre trying to limit their keystrokes. Also keep in mind thst their keypads are defaulted in japanese. Theyd need to switch virtual keyboards to directly enter english...and they use qrcodes.

I like the .tokyo domain look but unfortunately, its a dead tuna-fish in the water..

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True to the co.jp. It costs around $5,000 just to set up a company so a lot of startups use the .jp ($5 at onamae.com or $99 elsewhere). .tokyo would only refer to tokyo. There are other japanese domains like .ne.jp and even .info would be used before .tokyo. Lets see...what could one use for a .tokyo.......sushi? No. No one looks for sushi on a mobile device unless its on Hotpepper japan (yelp)......ninja? Japanese dont use ninja. They use shinobi.
There could be some .tokyo regs but not the way GMO predicted. Those nuts are thinking about sushi, ninja, samuri, anime...etc...things which the rest of japan would have no reason to search or directly enter into their mobile devices.
Btw, japanese do mot use their PC/macs at home like we westerners do. They heavily use their mobile devices......so theyre trying to limit their keystrokes. Also keep in mind thst their keypads are defaulted in japanese. Theyd need to switch virtual keyboards to directly enter english...and they use qrcodes.

I like the .tokyo domain look but unfortunately, its a dead tuna-fish in the water..

Good marketing approach with the jailbait, poor pricing strategy. Overall fail for GMO if they don't get their act together quick and start handing them out. All they needed to do was convince the oligopoly of carriers (shouldn't be that hard with a couple Yennies to keep them happy) to build in long-pressing .com on the touch screen keyboard to display .TOKYO on devices sold in TOKYO-to and TOKYO-shi (State/City) and it may just work out for the geo. Otherwise, it is dead tuna.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Damn, I feel like an idiot preaching this... but then again, I don't read, speak or understand Japanese. It wasn't until @MobileDesigner mentioned Onamae (which I should have checked first, since they would most likely have the lowest prices) that I realized that their price was extremely lower than 101domain, which made me do a double-take. It's $220 for the domain and $145 setup fee, but they're in the sunrise period (I ignored the other crap cause I thought it was just a cross-sell section, but it's clearly there). Landrush will be $44/$15. If landrush is 80% off and hypothetically speaking we just carry that over, it'll be $8.80 (may be even lower than this as pre-reg's are $14) to register for GA. Maybe they are on to something and .tokyo/.nagoya are the first (before FIDDY CENT) to hype the shit out of a gTLD (before they're even available).

Last edited:

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a spree with early expressions of interest for streetmap.tokyo, capitalcity.tokyo and etc for the other <dot> cities, but thought better of it. Lucky escape? Time will tell.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Again, you MUST be selective. Just because it is avail to reg does not mean it MUST be regged. I assure you there are some primo names for the geo's that make sense in every meaning of the phrase of makes sense. If it is commonly used in speech then it is a better pick than most.

.tokyo, .berlin, .nyc are all very good markets (and very LARGE markets) but each has quite a few limitations on regging to begin with (think citizen of, resident of, etc). Aside from access to these geos being a hinderance to reg from the standpoint of restricted access, geo's (in my opinion) are not to be overlooked in other extensions as well. I am extremely satisified in my geo+keyword selections. Yes, most are getting traffic. But nothing will do them justice until I get sights built, monitize them enough, promote them enough, and saturate keyword placement.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the problem with regg'n .geo is it's a .geo, which means limited traffic and interest, mainly for that region

in contrast to some other .nongeowhatever

and....

what will be available, will start from narrowest of interest to widest interest.... and the "wider or greater" the interest for that region, the more likely those terms will be reserved or priced at premium.

you will be challenged for creativity, to conceive domain names that are relevant to that specific .geo

at least that's the pattern i noticed with .gtld releases

imo...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I accept the challenge. I accept the risk. I accept the work and research I have to put in to this so far. I have also accepted the potential upside and downside of longevity of those pre-regs.

Also, keep in mind that I am not just talking about keyword+.geo. I am also talking of geo+.keyword, both of which has its pluses and minuses.

Have to know the market and know the limitations.

Much of this is like registering tech terms and words that are not mainstream in the present but will be mainstream in short time. The potential reward is huge and it has worked out very well for me so far over the years.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people will continue to hate and not look outside the box and take a risk. :p

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people will continue to hate and not look outside the box and take a risk. :p

not about hate...it's about trying to educate -

based on past experiences and knowledge of trends, relating to the release and marketing of new extensions.
regardless to whether they be .asia .pw. guru. .eu .mobi or the .whatevers, the basic pattern/model for distribution has been the same.
where the variant, has been the increasing number of reserved keywords, across the spectrum of new releases, compared to variety of keywords that were not reserved, for past releases of other extensions.

that's history, not my story

don't believe, go back in time and read or maybe in the future, you'll see what I mean.

imo....

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Biggie... instead of coming on starting threads about what do you think why not start one on domains that sold...hype is hype facts are facts. I like .club but only for domains that fit the extension. I see lots of talking about how great a domain is and few days later trying to flip it.. any sales??? If you want to get the truth stick with the facts not the hype. history repeats itself.

It is 100% impossible for the bulk of these extension to do well. impossible.
me personally I'm only trying to help new people who are being lead down a dark alley see before they enter, if they go forward, I tried.

I watch these post and blogs and videos and seriously shame on some. Follow me over a cliff. If you have unlimited funds go for it...otherwise better be careful its a fork in the road...one way is a dead end...the other way is a cliff.

Sure there will be some that make money, but the majority will lose and outta a thousand new extensions how many will thrive? Seriously let me hear your thoughts on the % that will make it...then tell me what ones they are.

I hope you can prove me wrong - the majority will not be able to do that.

Start a thread and lets see the proof. (post your results)

JMO, not trying to stir up a pot here just being as honest as I can.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If everyone is hoping for a quick flip, those will be few and far between.

Those that are impatient to sit and wait or build and create should not even consider this jumble of names.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, consider the TLDs that were released a decade ago. Have they appreciated much after so many years ?
Patience is a virtue but there is no reward when you bet on the wrong horse.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I registered northamptonrowing.club for $11 with Uniregistry. Small price to pay for a much better name than we have at present, and no intention to sell. Well, who would buy?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Better than what ? :) You could have the .co.uk and soon .uk.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Better than northamptonrc.org.uk. Why on earth would a genuine club want a .co.uk? northamptonrowingclub.uk is not nearly as good. Nobody cares that it's in the UK, except those actually here already, so anything .uk is redundant. No, sorry, I think there's a genuine requirement for .club from...er, clubs.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, consider the TLDs that were released a decade ago. Have they appreciated much after so many years ?
Patience is a virtue but there is no reward when you bet on the wrong horse.
No, they have not done anything. Nor were they seemingly promoted to perform any certain function. Info for information? Okay, but was there any great effort behind that push? The only effort I recall was .org for organizations which made great sense and was widely adopted. Then domainers and scammers starting regging them, parking them or scammers setting up fake websites on them. Dot org became so polluted with non-organizations. Point is, the general public IS AWARE of them and what the .org was to represent.

Same logic applies. If the extension is promoted properly and the purpose promoted to where it makes sense then it stands a better chance of adoption.

Honestly, I do not understand the rationale behind many of them. Then again, those are domainers in charge of the registries who are not really making any sense of their own product in terms of branding.

Can anyone seriously define the use of .photo over .photos over .photography or .pics, .camera, and so on?

Build, builders, construction, contractors...who are behind those ideals? What distinct advantage of one have over the other?

It will be those extensions who have a distinctive reason for being that has very little competition that will stand out.

And, of course, brands like .audi will make their own mark. And all it takes is a few distinct brands like .audi and .monster going mainstream that will cause people to pause and see that there is something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom