Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.cm domains worth anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Kinda new to the scene here. Only been domaining for about 4 months now.

My question is, do you think .cm domains are worth purchasing? I don't want to register a TM domain, so don't worry about that. I'm talking about generic terms that have high search volume. I know the registration fee is quite hefty (between $100-$150).

So, what do you think? Wasting my time?

Thanks!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"High search volume" does not mean the domain will get type-in traffic.
I'm afraid the few .cm domains that have significant traffic are no longer available.
There is no point in developing a .cm either. This will confuse visitors and some will browse away to the .com (traffic leak).

I have heard of nobody making a good deal with this extension.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

You don't think high value keywords have any value? I'm talking one-word, short domains. What do you think will happen if the .com is parked? Any value then?

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No other thoughts?

I've seen several strong keyword .cc, .ws, .in, and .us domains sell for hundreds to thousands of dollars. Why would .cm domains not be in the same value range? Could it be that Camaroon has a low internet usage rate? Or maybe due to the high registration fees?

I'm just wondering why adoption hasn't been as high (that I've seen) as some of the other ccTLD's out there...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen several strong keyword .cc, .ws, .in, and .us domains sell for hundreds to thousands of dollars.
You will see reported sales in all extensions, even in junk like .name. A few sales (flukes) here and there don't equate with a market.
You could have nice keywords in those extensions, you will still find they are not selling easily.
Don't believe me, try it.
Analyze the market to understand what types of domains do sell. Dnjournal would be a good start.

Could it be that Camaroon has a low internet usage rate? Or maybe due to the high registration fees?
Most African extensions are underused. Cameroon is not a rich country either. Internet penetration rates are low. No noticeable prevalence of local E-commerce. There are no prospects for growth for .cm at home.

I'm just wondering why adoption hasn't been as high (that I've seen) as some of the other ccTLD's out there...
ccTLDs need a local market to thrive. There are very few exceptions, like .tv or .me, where ccTLDs have rebranded themselves.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good info! That's sort of along the same lines I was thinking.

Do you think the typosquatters kinda gave it a bad name? When they came out, there was a lot of hype about the fact that you could get tons of traffic from mistyping ".com".

Do you know of a listing of top sales of .cm domains? I wonder what the highest price paid for one is...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

I actually own two names on that list. I think I'm going to just hold them and hope for a homerun in the future... wishfull thinking, but hell so is the lottery... right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom