Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

CNN Article : Cell phones play vital role in developing world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats a great find! Bravo!!!

cell phone subscriptions in the developing world have surged fivefold since 2000, to 1.4 billion at the end of 2005, according to the U.N. International Telecommunication Union. That's nearly double the 800 million in advanced economies......

Another example of how the mobile internet is growing rapidly, while helping poorer nations, great stuff! :nod:

Once these countries get a hold of .Mobi it'll make the .Mobi community grow faster IMHO. :thumb:

.mobi
:clap2:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have an old copy of the Times under my desk i just dug out (yes, lol you thought Pred was a sunday sport kinda guy!) lol
it has a great article about migrant remittances. migrants sending money home.
$35 BILLION sent 'home' last year alone from the US (source IMF)
Western Union are overpriced etc. the banks & mobile operators want a big slice of this cash.
Companies are experimenting with sending remittances over mobile networks. As you say in the Phillipines, cash can be credited to a phone account, then transferred to another persons account for the cost of a text
Mbanking is widely valued across South Africa. I remember posting about this a while ago.
It's also cheaper than traditional banking, & many residents can't get a standard bank account.
Just dig this out... Nigeria has 225 ATM machines (129 million people live in the country)
It's a fascinating area. The biggest growth areas are the third world,but this is true for just about everything. Exciting times.
Pred ;)

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats a great find! Bravo!!!

Another example of how the mobile internet is growing rapidly, while helping poorer nations, great stuff! :nod:

Once these countries get a hold of .Mobi it'll make the .Mobi community grow faster IMHO. :thumb:

.mobi
:clap2:

Maybe you should get your facts right. The AVG ARPU in so called developing countries is less than $20 a month (and that's VOICE) since DATA is not being offered in majority of places..

Now, add to that a whopping 85-95% are pre-paid customers and then you get the picture. Please stop posting irrelevant stuff about .mobi this is getting very very tiring..

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should get your facts right. The AVG ARPU in so called developing countries is less than $20 a month (and that's VOICE) since DATA is not being offered in majority of places..

Good morning. :wave:

Again, you're looking at the CURRENT situation, instead of looking to the future.We're not in 2001 now :yo:

Now, add to that a whopping 85-95% are pre-paid customers and then you get the picture. Please stop posting irrelevant stuff about .mobi this is getting very very tiring

It's irrelevant to you, maybe, but you don't buy .Mobi's apparantly, but it's not to me :cell:

:whoo:

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good morning. :wave:

Again, you're looking at the CURRENT situation, instead of looking to the future.We're not in 2001 now :yo:

What will the future bring? India become superpower and surpass Europe and US on GDP? Is it the weather in UK or are you related to Nostradamus? If you have such psychic abilities maybe you should email Sir Christopher Bland and ask him to put you on the Board of Directors for BT

I'm sure they'd love to have you onboard to oversee all their strategic initiatives and BT PLC group expansion

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1.) Consumers - as a whole they represent most of the world's population..might not be shopping for diamonds always but companies want the millions in any area to use their daily life products like toothpaste, soft drink, etc.

The masses in these developing countries represent more than just a consumer market potential for comparison..

They can be

2.) Traffic .. users/members to sites..

3.) Resources - ever here of "made in China", what do you think most things in Walmart and your retail store are made, now imagine resources being made available to direct to the West as the premium buyer - one large sale can feed a family there for a long time even.

4.) Services - BPOs, techies, call centers etc. Great for world business to business.

-Remember most of these people will experience the Internet for the first time on a mobile device.. (not able to afford a COMputer).. One in three humans on Earth live in India or China alone etc.. .Mobi has had a very global viral spread in its own 17 week microcosm (do a "site:.mobi" in Google).

Kind Regards,

Yelo

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have an old copy of the Times under my desk i just dug out (yes, lol you thought Pred was a sunday sport kinda guy!) lol
it has a great article about migrant remittances. migrants sending money home.
$35 BILLION sent 'home' last year alone from the US (source IMF)
Western Union are overpriced etc. the banks & mobile operators want a big slice of this cash.
Companies are experimenting with sending remittances over mobile networks. As you say in the Phillipines, cash can be credited to a phone account, then transferred to another persons account for the cost of a text
Mbanking is widely valued across South Africa. I remember posting about this a while ago.
It's also cheaper than traditional banking, & many residents can't get a standard bank account.
Just dig this out... Nigeria has 225 ATM machines (129 million people live in the country)
It's a fascinating area. The biggest growth areas are the third world,but this is true for just about everything. Exciting times.
Pred ;)

I really hope the mobile networks payments take off. At the moment I pay £40 to the banks to cover the costs of sending just one sum to Brasil. Barclays suggested sending a cheque instead. It took 1 month to arrive and another 60 days to clear. Nightmare situation.......anyway PayPal in Brasil would also be a result.

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have cellphonecreditcards.com How best to monetize it?

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anything you can do with .mobi you can do with .com, please don't forget that in all the hype otherwise you have no concept of technology. Other than advertising not .mobi is nothing special. People could do the same things with a .com from cell phone as quick as they could a .mobi sooo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom