Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.co.uk transfering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a distinct difference between "transferring" a name, and PUSHING a name. To "TRANSFER" a name, *usually* implies you are switching registrars entirely.

"PUSHING" a name on the other hand, usually means the registrar is simply reassigning the name to another user account. In the case of eNom, GoDaddy, Network Solutions, and a handful of others... "pushing" is a very easy operation. Companies like Register.com charge as much as $200 for intra-registrar ownership "transfers". GoDaddy only allows a "ownership transfer" (or "PUSH") every 60 days, while eNom allows them every 7 days. Internal pushes/transfers can be as easy or hard as the the authoritative registrar lets them be.

Also, "pushing" is generally FREE, while true "transfers" cost a fee, and generally add a year of registration to the name.

~ Nexus

fryman04

Master of the cave
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are correct... I can't believe I asked that question now, lol!

As long as you remain in the current registar, you won't have any problems changing ownership of the domain. But, if you want to transfer you domain to Godaddy, for example, THEN you will have to go through all the paperwork.

I Feel so stupid... that's why I didn't bid for the domain you just bought!

lol

Good luck with it :)

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's be very clear about one thing... the FULL transfer of a .co.uk domain IS a pain.

There is one exception to the above: if the tag holder (i.e. the company/entity that registered the .co.uk domain) is willing to play along and the domain is brand new (usually the cutoff point is around 10 days or so (it varies a little) then it is possible to do a kind of "backdoor transfer" by getting the domain deleted at Nominet and then instantaneously reregistered with the new details.

Barring the above very special case, to get full legal control over a .co.uk domain Nominet is going to have to record a change of Registrant, and the only way for that to happen right now is to follow the paper-based process, pay their fee etc. Process takes 2-5 weeks, depending on how quickly both parties to a sale work at it.

This is in marked contrast to .com/net/org/info/biz, where "pushes" are instantaneous and common-place.

Note: having CONTROL over a .co.uk domain is not the same as LEGALLY OWNING it.

The former can happen through a Registrar push. The latter MUST happen via Nominet's long-winded, paper-based process.

fryman04

Master of the cave
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Edwin, we are back to the "push" vs "transfer" terms.

If you push the domain, meaning that it just changes ownership, but remains in the same registar, you won't have any problems. But if you want to transfer it to another registar, then you will have to do the paperwork.

However, a simple push would make you the legal holder of the domain, I don't think you need to do all the paperwork if you are just changing ownership. Wouldnt a push change the whois info to yours? That would make you the legal owner.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fryman04 said:
However, a simple push would make you the legal holder of the domain, I don't think you need to do all the paperwork if you are just changing ownership. Wouldnt a push change the whois info to yours? That would make you the legal owner.

No it would not make you the legal owner - only Nominets transfer process does that. Pushing a .co.uk domain merely does what Edwin stated - gives you CONTROL but not OWNERSHIP. At least one member here is in dispute over just such a case where a purchased name was pushed but not transfered.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Again, forget EVERYTHING you know about .com/net/org/info/biz

.co.uk is DIFFERENT

If you ignore that difference, you WILL get burnt!

Seeing as I've done dozens of .co.uk transactions, and own over 1,100 of the darn things, I guess I should know :)

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.co.uk illustrates well the culture difference between much of Europe and the States.

In the States, people expect speed and efficiency whenever possible - many folks here do pushes, transfers, etc all the time, often with little to no paperwork, and never think about it ... as if it's always been that way ... flashbacks from the past ... Network Solutions 8 week transfers, which they then later offered an "express" option (still took days) for like $199 ... and yes many folks paid that!

Eventually .co.uk will catchup with the rest of the net ... but then perhaps the governing bodies for .co.uk feel that's not best, seeing how often folks transfer .COMs, etc around from registrar to registrar, etc ... difficult transfers creates a nice "lock-in" effect for registrars ... but at a cost to registrants, and slows innovation.

Ron

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Eventually .co.uk will catchup with the rest of the net ... but then perhaps the governing bodies for .co.uk feel that's not best, seeing how often folks transfer .COMs, etc around from registrar to registrar, etc ... difficult transfers creates a nice "lock-in" effect for registrars ... but at a cost to registrants, and slows innovation.

Ron

You can transfer from registrar to registrar with no problem; you just update the tag and initiate the transfer with the gaining registrar – there is no ‘lock in’ problem.

The problems (and transfer fees) only come about when you want to change the legal registrant of the domain. If I want to move a domain from say 123-reg to uk2, but still want to remain as the legal registrant there are no additional fees other than the usual registration/transfer fee (same as for .com / .net)

- Rob

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
You can transfer from registrar to registrar with no problem; you just update the tag and initiate the transfer with the gaining registrar – there is no ‘lock in’ problem.

- Rob

How do you go about updating the tag?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
How do you go about updating the tag?

Normally ask your existing Registrar to change the Tag to that of the receiving Registrar.
e.g changing tag from HostEurope (123-reg) to DSVR (Designer Servers) you would contact 123-reg and ask them to change the Tag of your domain to DSVR, ensuring that DSVR was ready to receive your name.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's a question. If the existing registrar (say... eNom) lists YOU as the registrant, what could someone do if they are listed with Nominet? Essentially, what "exposure" is there as long as this information remains unchanged?

~ Nexus

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
Here's a question. If the existing registrar (say... eNom) lists YOU as the registrant, what could someone do if they are listed with Nominet? Essentially, what "exposure" is there as long as this information remains unchanged?

~ Nexus

nic.uk keeps the true Registrant details, whatever the Registrar may have on their whois - anyone wanting to check the "official" ownership has only to check nic.uk whois to see who is the recognised legal owner.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
nic.uk keeps the true Registrant details, whatever the Registrar may have on their whois - anyone wanting to check the "official" ownership has only to check nic.uk whois to see who is the recognised legal owner.
Thanks. What I'm asking specifically is about ALL possible unwanted actions and security concerns for whatever time the official data remains unchanged. While this is unchanged, what is the degree of exposure to these types of intrusions?

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom