Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

COLLECTIVE LETTER to ICANN: GoDaddy charging administrative fee with no reason and de

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei73

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
COLLECTIVE LETTER to ICANN: GoDaddy charging administrative fee with no reason and declining transfer outs.

You can see how the story starts here
http://www.dnforum.com/f77/neew-advice-act-against-godaddy-inquiry-thread-138595.html

after I initiate transfer all my domains from godaddy all fresh registered or fresh transferred domains was declined for a reason 60 days and the rest o them was declined with that reason:

Dear Andrei,

The transfer of XXXXXX.COM from GoDaddy.com to another registrar could not be completed
for the following reason(s):

Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. (e.g. - email,
fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and
voluntarily objected through opt-in means).

If you believe that this domain name does not fit the situation described above, please
contact us at http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/support.asp for assistance.

I wrote to godaddy department and explain the whois data and my Credit Card billing address I have purchase a lot of times the same – impossible mistake. If they want they can call me on my whois phone or send me an verification letter to this address but my letters was ignored.

So they using all methods to avoid transfer out!!
Everybody who have the same story please write here or PM me so we can write collective letter to ICANN.

I am starting counting:
http://www.dnforum.com/f209/crazy-go-daddy-software-administrative-fee-thread-129953.html

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no problems transferring after my name has been there over 60 days. When you change your adminitration contact you have to wait 60 days from the day it was changed.

Are they denying your transfer-out request after the 60 day period? I am assuming you understand why they have the 60 day rule.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem transfering out from godaddy. I found that strange. :)

Actually they are one of the fastest registrars because you can approve the transfer yourself, so transfer can be done in hours and not the 5 day default.

Andrei73

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just readed the forum and see where is the prob.
Because I have in that account my and my clients domains before move out I change all whois to mine updating with that button "all domains" and since whois was updated transfer is blocked for 60 days....
Now i must renew expiring domains with them and wait if they charge administrative fee for each or with radom rulet.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Damn. Why did you do that?

manueld64

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ouch, you invoke the 60 icann policy when you do a major update to the whois.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Where is this famous icann policy? Do you have a url?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I can't find it. Can you help?
Please quote the rule here.

manueld64

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
3. Obligations of the Registrar of Record

Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons, the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial. The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

Evidence of fraud
UDRP action
Court order by a court of competent jurisdiction
Reasonable dispute over the identity of the Registered Name Holder or Administrative Contact
No payment for previous registration period (including credit card charge-backs) if the domain name is past its expiration date or for previous or current registration periods if the domain name has not yet expired. In all such cases, however, the domain name must be put into "Registrar Hold" status by the Registrar of Record prior to the denial of transfer.
Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. (e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means)
A domain name was already in “lock status” provided that the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.
A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period.
A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs).

To me, that means whenever you update the registration information (whois, contact information, whatever you want to call it), it starts a new initial registration period. Because you are essentially creating a new registrant for the domain. Maybe the big question is... What is your interpretation of initial registration? It is just after registering a new domain, renewals and transfer completions? Maybe the big contention is whenever you update the registrant contact type, it starts it over. For example, when there is a change of account push of a domain from one account to another. It is a change of registrant and would invoke that policy. What do you all think of this?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if you change your name say J. Doe to John Doe, it is still considered the same registrant. Therefore you should not have to wait the 60 days. How can they consider one person two registrants? If you push a name I can see it being considered a new registration. The thing I would look for in their agreement is a definition of registering a name. It is states for one year, then an initial registration would be the first 60 days after payment for the domain is made.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do I think?
I think that what you said does not exist.
First you said it was an ICANN rule and then you ask for our thoughts on the supposed rule...

This is a godaddy invention/interpretation that is desparate attempt to stop people from transfering out.
Ridiculous as always.

manueld64 said:
To me, that means whenever you update the registration information (whois, contact information, whatever you want to call it), it starts a new initial registration period. Because you are essentially creating a new registrant for the domain. Maybe the big question is... What is your interpretation of initial registration? It is just after registering a new domain, renewals and transfer completions? Maybe the big contention is whenever you update the registrant contact type, it starts it over. For example, when there is a change of account push of a domain from one account to another. It is a change of registrant and would invoke that policy. What do you all think of this?

manueld64

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess the system would have to be smart enough to determine if the whois update is just the same registrant updating his info or if it is actually someone else. But I doubt that would happen, have to be some guy doing that. I guess dvdrip can check with icann to see if a whois update really starts over the 60 day period. They should at least put that in their transfer policy since it is unclear there.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is (in)famous Godaddy sh*t, even DNS change invokes this 60 days...

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't need to check with ICANN anything.
The url is above is very clear:
"A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period."
There is nothing about a whois update.

The 60 day rule is there to protect companies from chargebacks mainly.

Godaddy punishes you either way. When you update your whois to current info then you can't transfer out. If you don't update your whois then they charge you $29.95. Either way they win.

manueld64 said:
I guess dvdrip can check with icann to see if a whois update really starts over the 60 day period. They should at least put that in their transfer policy since it is unclear there.

This is not true for a long time now.

denny007 said:
Yes, it is (in)famous Godaddy sh*t, even DNS change invokes this 60 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom